Chapter 52: Here's to a Merry Christmas

Rosalyn's POV

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Rosalyn. Happy birthday to you." The birthday song was accompanied with claps and cheers as eight-year-old me cut a slice of the red velvet cake and fed it to my parents.

"Now, it's time to open the present Santa left you." Mom said, while unwrapping a red gift box, covered in colourful candy cane patterned gift wrapper. The paper slid off and the box was opened, to reveal a small fish bowl with a lively goldfish swimming inside it.

"Mom, dad!" I squealed, feeling the joy pouring out of my heart. "I love it!" Running over to the fish bowl, I held it close to my chest, looking at the little goldfish inside it. "I will name it Goldey!"

"Whatever you want baby." Dad kissed my forehead. "Happy birthday, dear..."

_____________

"Wake up Rose!" Amber's frantic screaming woke me up.

"What happened?" I looked over at her. She seemed perfectly normal. I rubbed my eyes, noticing the large Santa hat hanging from her head.

"Merry Christmas!" She embraced me in a tight hug.

"You could've wished me in a calmer manner, instead of nearly bursting my ear buds out." I wondered whether she knew it was my birthday, but how would she? I didn't even tell her about it.

"Happy birthday, Rose." She kissed me on my forehead.

"Wha... How do you know that?"

"You really think that Sapphire wouldn't have told me something as important as this? You are my niece, Rose, nothing less than a daughter in fact. I ought to know everything about you. And who do you think pretended to be your Secret Santa for all these years?"

I was dumbfounded. "It was you?"

"Yup! Now, get up fast. We are leaving for the Blackwood Mansion in an hour."

"...You are telling me that? Since when do you want to go into our 'enemies' territory'? Oh God. Are they in danger or something?" My heart began racing.

"Calm down, Rose. Don't you think we should celebrate Christmas, and not to mention, your birthday with them? They did help us by getting a weapon to kill Nathaniel."

"So, does that mean Amber Harrington trusts her age old enemies?"

"Of course not. I mean... 20 percent I guess? It's going to take a lot of effort to convince me that they won't betray us, but Christmas is all about forgiveness and second chances. I guess it will be good to keep our differences aside for just one day, don't you think?"

"Couldn't have said it better myself." I said, before climbing down my bed.

____________

"Do they know about my birthday?" I said to Amber while sipping onto the last bit of my hot chocolate, watching the lovely, white snow covered trees on either side of the road.

"How will I know?" She said, making a turn till we were right in front of the mansion, two snowmen looking right at us with their buttoned eyes. The two of us climbed out of the car and made our way inside.

The interior was filled with only a single thing. Silence. A silence that could hurt your ears, making you feel that you can hear no longer. It seemed as if no one had ever lived in the house before.

"Hello? Anyone here?" I called out, my voice shaking with fear.

"I expected more of a grand welcome. It's Christmas! Don't you guys celebrate it?"