Chapter 25: Trust the Instinct

Next Monday...
Rosalyn's POV

"Have you had any conversation with your aunt yet?" Kristen asked me as we headed to class.

"Not yet. It's strange. She mentioned that it won't take her long," I sighed.

"Well, you can't really be sure when you're dealing with a Wendigo," She shrugged.

"Makes sense." On reaching the classroom, we seated ourselves next to one another as the teacher walked in... but it wasn't professor Whittemore.

"Good morning, class."

"Ms. Ramirez, it isn't Mathematics class now."

"I know that very well, miss Silverhawk. I'm here as your substitute for professor Whittemore." I was taken aback by her words. Professor Whittemore might be sick, but he would never skip class.

What's going on with him...?

But I wouldn't know...

_____________

During Lunch...

"Earth to Rose?" Kristen yelled at me when I realised that I hadn't eaten a bit of my meal. "Are you alright?"

"Huh? Oh, ye-- yeah, I am."

"Stop lying, Rose. What's bothering you?"

"... It's professor Whittemore. Last Friday, he told me that he had been having visions... of his wife."

"But isn't his wife dead?" Vincent asked.

"That's what I asked him too, but he's sure that he has been seeing her. It might all be because of his lack of sleep, but we can't be sure of that."

"What if this is the deed of another monster?"

"I don't know, but we have to consider every possibi--" Suddenly, my phone that I had kept next to me started vibrating.

"Who's that?"

I looked up at the caller ID. "It's Amber." I picked up the call, "Hey..."

"Hi. My plane just landed. I wanted to give you a surprise visit, but my stupid ass forgot that you have your cheerleading practice after school today. I'm heading home."

"That's great Amber, but can you do me a favour?"

"Shoot."

"It's about professor Whittemore. He's been having hallucinations, concerning his dead wife. Can you check in on him?"

"... Alright, as you wish."

"Thank you! I'm texting you his address."

"Works for me. I'm gonna see you in the evening."

"Goodbye."

I typed in his address and sent it to Amber, in the hope that everything would return back to normal...

But would it...?

______________

Christopher Whittemore's House...
Amber's POV

Knocking against Christopher's door, I glanced at my wrist watch. '5.34 p.m.' it read. The sun was just above the horizon, threatening to set any moment from now. However, no one answered to the knock. I tried again, but there was no reply, not even the slightest bit of shuffling of feet. I pressed my ear against the wooden door, when a low, painful groan from inside caught my attention.