Chapter 40: A Truth Untold

Rosalyn's POV

I stood there, bewildered as Kristen announced the unexpected news of her being a vampire hunter!

"Wh-- How can you be a vampire hunter? Rose and I have known you all our lives! How could you keep this from us?" Stella said.

"I never intended to, but my uncle asked me to promise him that I won't reveal this to anyone. I'm so sorry..." she said, fighting back her tears.

"Aw Kristen, you don't have to be sorry about anything! We won't judge you by what you are," I said.

"It is... certainly a surprise to us..." Aurora said.

"That explains the beastiery." Vincent spoke up.

"I know and I'm genuinely sorry for not telling you people sooner."

"You don't need to apologize, but, can we have your word that you won't turn your back against us?"

"You do! I will never betray my friends! I would rather die if it means saving you all. You are no less than a family to me!" she said, tearing up. Stella and I rubbed her back.

"You are brave Kristen, really brave! If I were in your shoes, I could never have done what you did. Vampire hunters and vampires have been enemies for centuries--" Damien spoke up, but he was interrupted by Aurora

"But I want to know about you. How have you people survived for so long, because as far as I know, vampire hunters were extinct in the 15th century. We made sure of that."

"Most of them did, but our ancestor managed to escape. We adopted a new name and our history was never to be remembered."

"But how did vampire hunters even come to existence?" Stella said.

"The people who died in Sangria were not all witches. Some were humans too. A few of them managed to run away without being caught up with an untimely doom. One of them was our ancestor, the first Martin. He inspired the other survivors to fight the vampires. After their doom in the 15th century, only our ancestors survived. They were asked to flee by their loyal followers so that no harm could come to them. It was only because of them that our legacy is still alive. We adopted a new last name. From Martin, we became Martinez..."

A wave silence washed over us.

"It sounded like a hell of a movie!" Stella said.

"But I am sure it was not one," Vincent said. Kristen shook her head in agreement.

"So...that is it, right? All our secrets are out?"

Everyone nodded.

"Good to hear that," I glanced at my watch. "It's getting late. I should go now."

"I'll drive you home," Vincent insisted. I accepted his proposal.

______________

"I... I'm sorry for treating you so badly yesterday. I was blinded with rage," I apologised to Vincent, whose eyes were fixed onto the road.

"You don't have to be sorry for anything. I would have reacted the same way."

"It is just that, people have been keeping so many things from me. Things that actually matter to me. My parents did not want me to know that I am a witch. I was kept in the dark the entire time, not knowing what my true purpose is, and, all of a sudden, I come to know that a person whom I hold so dear, is no one but my enemy's son. I... I just could not handle the truth."

"Whatever happened, for the better or worse, is all gone now. What really is important is that we are still sticking together, and believe it or not, we are making it through this time. It is the only option we have right now," he said, holding my hand.