2 - I Care.

"Please, please be here for me dear 'cause I've never needed a friend more and l can't stress enough how much it means to me that you're trying."

I Promise I'm Trying ~ Cavetown

° ° ° °

I wake up to the sound of someone knocking on what l assume is my bedroom door so l slowly sit up and rub my eyes only to realize the knocks are coming from my window not my door.

I look over to the window to find alex motioning me to open the window and let him in.

I roll my eyes and get up, lumbering over to the window and unlocking it before pushing it up wards and letting him climb in.

I slide back under the covers as he climbs in and dusts off of his cloths before closing the window behind him

"You left me, again." he sighs as he sits on the edge of my bed.

"Sorry lexi, l was really tired and had to go home" l apologize.

He ignores the nickname and places his hands over his heart pretending to be hurt, "I'm hurt, how could you not ask me to skip school with you?"

I chuckle and say "l didn't skip school, the gym teacher excused me."

"Wait that grumpy ass dude excused you!? Wow you must've been really sick." 

"I was just as surprised as you are."

"You don't look that sick to me though, wanna go for a midnight snack run?" he asks, a devilish smirk spreading across his face.

My eyes wide in terror as I yell "It's midnight!?"

I jump out of bed and run over to my dresser to check the time on my phone to see that it's only 5:30 pm.

I turn around to see alex dying from laughter on my bed, he barely has time to blink before I run over to my bed and jump on him

"You jerk! you scared the living shit out of me!!!" I say as I playfully punch his shoulder and he doesn't even try to stop me he just laughs.

I continue until he breaks out of his laughing fit a little and pushes me over like l weigh nothing more a feather, although he was dealing with aneroxia not too long ago, alex has always been pretty strong for some reason, not that I'm complaining.

"You should've seen your face." he manges to say between laughs.

"Shut up, dumbass." l roll my eyes.

I'm about to say something when alex suddenly sits up and stares at the cracked door to my bathroom like he's just seen a ghost.

when l see the legitimate fear in his eyes l push myself upwards into a sitting position.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask as I place a hand on his shoulder.

"I-I thought I uhh saw something in the bathroom..." he mumbles as he continues to stare at the ajar door.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Uhh I don't know..."

I look at the small crack between the bathroom door and the erect wall of my room to see nothing but darkness from inside of the bathroom.

Then suddenly I see a figure, not sure of what exactly, move quickly then disappear out of sight.

Alex looks over to me "You saw it too didn't you?"

I quietly reply with "Yeah..."

"Don't worry though it's probably just our imagination." I mumble, hoping that it is.

"Yeah, probably." he agrees, not buying it but hoping it's true.

We sit there in silence for only a few moments before he says "Alright umm let's forget... whatever that was. And focus on the main case, do you wanna go on a snack run?"

"You bet your sweet ass I do, I just gotta grab a drink of water from the kitchen because i haven't had one in like a good 7 hours now, want anything?"

"Nope, I'm good. I'll be waiting for you here."

I nod and leave my bedroom closing the door behind me.

My mother doesn't like me having any kind of male over, so I'm in trouble if she saw Alex in my room.

Yes alex and I have been best friends since childhood but my mother doesn't like that very much.

It honestly doesn't bother me anymore, she doesn't like anything I do.

I walk to the counter top to grab a cup before making my way to the fridge to pour myself some water from the water dispenser.

"Hey mom." I greet my mother who's chatting with someone on her phone.

"Hey sweetie" she whispers so whoever is on the phone with her doesn't hear it.

I decide not to bother her since she's clearly busy so i just grab my drink and go.

Just as I'm leaving the kitchen I hear my name.

This should be interesting.

I think to myself as I stand around the corner so that she doesn't see me but  can still hear her, and I know what you're thinking, eavesdropping isn't right.

Well yes l know but if the conversation is about me then l have the right to listen.

"As in her grades have been dropping?" l hear my mom ask who ever is on the phone with her.

"Did she bother anyone?"

Bother anyone?! who the hell would I bother!? and who would be calling to complain about me?

"What's taking you so long?" Alex asks snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What the heck are you doing out of my room? you know how mom feels about having guys around." I whisper-shout over my shoulder so that only he could hear me.

He crouches down next to me and whispers "Yeah yeah whatever, what are you doing here anyway?"

"Just listen" l say and go back to eavesdropping on my mom, okay it doesn't sound great when you say it that way but whatever.

"Oh... she might have just been a little sick." Mom says.

"What the? Oh..." "Mr Robert. Ugh great, he called my mom." I whisper to myself.

"What?" Alex asks in obvious confusion.

I grab alex's hand pulling him back to my room with me and closing the door behind us.

"Okay what the hell laynie?" he asks.

I sigh "This morning Mr. Robert asked me why l haven't been 'myself'  lately and now he's talking about it to my mom." I say as l sit down on my bed and Alex sits next to me.

"I mean you shouldn't really be mad about it he's concerned for you, you know."

"Well yeah l guess but he's wasting his time because my mom doesn't care." I roll my eyes.

"Hey, it's alright. I care and you, you can always come to me, if she doesn't well it's her loss." he says pulling me into a hug.

I hug him back and say "Thanks, you're the best."

"I know" he replies back and I chuckle at his cockiness.