45 - Human Attack.

Ryder settled in and told me to tell the rest that all of us have to meet him in the office of this ginormous house after breakfast.

I finish changing into yet another white hoodie and black leggings, brushing my hair and deciding to leave it down before heading out of the room and into the kitchen.

"Morning." Alex mumbles, stumbling into the kitchen.

"Morning." l reply without looking at him as l grab a blue plastic cup from the counter and fill it with cold water from the water dispenser

"Alright, what is it? You've been acting weird since you left my house that last time." Alex closes the fridge and turns to face me.

"Nothing."

"Bullshit."

"You tell me. Something's up with you, not me." l gulp the water down in one sip.

"What do you mean?" he asks.

"How you didn't freak out when Ryder came out of nowhere saying 'hey guys so a criminal is after you all and I'm going to need to take you to God knows where tomorrow morning' like a complete psychopath. That's not like you." l place the cup down on the counter.

"That's why you've been avoiding me? Because l didn't freak out about this?" he asks in disbelief.

"l know you Alex and l know that you would normally freak the hell out so you not doing that means you're somehow involved in this mess with everyone else."

He chuckles "Really Laynie? You should really know stop jumping to conclusions that fast."

"If it isn't that then what is it? How come you were so calm about it?!" l throw my hands up in the air in frustration.

"l was feeling extra shitty that day alright? I don't wanna talk about it. Ryder telling me that we have to go with him didn't really shock me because l was already done with everything." he snaps.

Well, shit...

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, God I'm so stupid." I apologize.

I'm a fucking idiot.

"Yeah whatever. You don't think I'd ever lie to you, do you?" he asks

"No, I'm sorry for doubting you. You're the best friend I could ever ask for."

"lt's fine. Just try not to overthink everything next time."

"Yeah I'll try. By the way, Ryder wanted me to tell you that we're supposed to meet him in the office after breakfast to discuss something." l mumble, awkwardly trying to change the subject.

"Okay." he mumbles.

As I'm about to leave the kitchen, l turn around and say "If you need to talk about what happened, you know where to find me."

He nods with a thankful smile in response.

° ° ° °

We finished breakfast and did as directed so currently we're waiting in Ryder's office, seated in the chairs surrounding the big black rectangular table.

"Remind me, why are we here again?" Eli asks, a hint of annoyance lacing his voice.

"Because Ryder has something to tell us l guess, l don't know." l shrug

"As if he didn't already tell us enough." Eli huffs.

"Look Eli l know you're pissed and l don't blame you for it but please try to keep things going between you and Ryder, for now at least." l plead.

"Fine. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry you didn't do anything wrong, thank you though, l appreciate it." l smile.

And with that being said, Ryder walks into the room "Sorry I'm late, anyway," he sits down on a chair in front of us. "You may be wondering why l called you guys up here," he says.

We all give him the 'you think?' look.

"Okay, so basically I've mentioned earlier that you guys aren't safe back In Detroit and coming to this safe house that we're in right now is the safest place to be with everything going on, you don't have to worry about your families, l took care of them."

I lean back in my seat and cross my arms "May l ask why we- out of all people -are in danger?"

"No, you may not." Ryder shoots me a warning look.

I scoff "Of course."

"Moving on; while being here is the safest option we can't be entirely sure that we won't get attacked-"

"Attacked as in grizzly bear attack?" l ask, knowing exactly what he means but genuinely enjoying annoying him.

"No, Laynie. As in human attack." he says, starting to get mad at me for constantly interrupting him.

"Hold up you're telling me that some random ass people might attack us for absolutely no reason at anytime? Even while we're inside this place?" l ask, the realization of the seriousness of the situation beginning to hit me.

"That's what l said." he rolls his eyes.

What kind of mess have l landed myself into..?

"Back to the main case, you're all here right now because l needed to tell you that, for safety reasons, you'll all be carrying these with you." he says and turns around with his chair to pull something out of his drawer.

I feel the color drain out of my face when he places them on the table.

° ° ° °

Hey people, sorry l took so long to update, writer's block is a bitch

P.s. This is unedited because I'm too sick to function properly.

So yours truly is sick today and the stress that comes with school really isn't helping so thank you guys so much for hanging on with me, you guys are the best, hopefully I'll be able to upload the next chapter sooner.

Lots of love to all you beautiful people, Sera xxx 🖤🖤🖤