Chapter 1

Athena's POV

I looked at the arena with a sense of satisfaction. Mentally, counting the heads present in the audience made my stomach churn - in a good way.

This was my time to shine, my time to show the world what the Xiphos pack left behind. It was my turn to be included in a pack and the rest of my life depended on this final duel which was to be fought in front of all the Alphas and Betas belonging to various packs all over the country.

I, Athena Xiphos, the daughter of Alpha Zeus Xiphos and Luna Metis Xiphos was in Camp Rogue since fifteen years now and today was my day of judgement. Fifteen years ago, my parents and my pack were killed in combat and I was made rogue. The Alpha who killed them could abduct me, however, as per the New World Rules of all the werewolves, all members of the abandoned or destroyed packs would go to Camp Rogue.

I was being escorted by two guards of Camp Rogue through the gates leading to the arena, and my opponent was a ginger boy named Gerald who had arrived at Camp Rogue as an orphaned werewolf. Camp Rogue was made for werewolves to get a second chance to join other packs based on their performance in their chief skill like fighting, healing, etc.

In the past fifteen years I was groomed to be a fighter, a pack warrior and based on my performance today, the authorities present could take a decision whether I was a good fit for their pack or not.

Dusting my palms on my thighs, I crouched to an attack stance at the edge of the circle. Gerald stood exactly opposite to me, mimicking the same.

The referee started talking.

"Round One. Two minutes. Objective is to pin and not maim. If no winner at the end of two minutes, it will be a tie. Fight starts after I fire the bullet."

B A M

The bullet shot in the air and we started circling the edge. In the first fifteen seconds I could gauge that Gerald was good at defense and was waiting for a window of opportunity to strike. I was not going to give him that. Instead I backed a bit and pretended to go in for an attack. Gerald stroke a defensive pose and two seconds later when he realized that it was a trap, I pulled him by his left foot and pinned him to the ground.

The whistle shrieked.

"Round One. Won by Athena Xiphos."

Scattered claps flanked me but I was less than amused.

There were two more rounds to go.

===

A/N: If you like this chapter do vote. Encourages me to write more :)