Chapter 48

Lucas's POV

My hands were on her waist and her good hand was clasped around my neck. We were swaying to the slow music, flanked by mates who were dancing under the bright moon. I dropped my neck to see Athie looking around in awe.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

She looked up with big doe eyes that I swear, made me want to submerge myself in them.

Oh Goddess, what wouldn't I do for my mate.

"This feeling, this feeling of being in a pack, it makes me feel whole."

I smiled at her confession.

"That is how you are supposed to feel. Until today morning you were a rogue, a wolf who was not in a pack. But today, you are. We wolves are social creatures, we need a pack to thrive and here you are, our Luna Warrior."

Athie blushed and pulled me by my neck. I dipped my head further to meet her plump lips.

"Ahem."

Who on earth interrupted this grumbled Leon.

Sighing mentally, I looked to my left to Brandon standing awkwardly amidst the dancing couples.

Speak I mind-linked him. Leon and I were not  at all happy with the interruption.

"I apologize for the interruption Alpha, Luna. Alpha, something urgent has come up, may I borrow you for a minute?"

Is it that urgent Brandon? I mind-linked.

Yes Alpha.

I looked at Athie with worry in my eyes. Our private moment was being interrupted.

She motioned me to go ahead and dropped her arm from the back of my neck. Suddenly, emptiness clouded me. And then I understood.

My mate was not happy with the interruption.

Leon cursed me for not being considerate but he did not push further because Alpha duties were as important as your mate.

Before she could walk away, I cupped her cheeks and gave her chaste kiss on the lips and turned to leave with my Beta

===

"This better be good Brandon."

"I am sorry Luca for interrupting but I had to tell you this in person."

Brandon had led us away from the celebrations to the deserted patch of land behind the Alpha House. We came to a stop and looked around for any sign of life. Once we were convinced there was nobody, we turned to each other.

"Alpha Nathan called me. He tried to call you, but you were in the middle of the ceremony. Nate and Jared will be here by nine tomorrow morning. They are bringing their Head Warrior, Dylan Reid and the ever famous Jeremy Landon along."

My ears perked up.

"Jeremy Landon? You mean THE Jeremy Landon?"

Brandon rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Do we know any other Jeremy Landon? Anyway, we need a good team to crack these bastards down. Who should be there at the table from our pack?"

I stared at the space behind Brandon in deep thought.

Who should be there at the table from our pack?

We need to include those who are ready for battle, those who have the ability protect the pack replied Leon.

For once, I agreed with him. He was my Alpha wolf, after all. 

"The Alpha, Beta, Luna Warrior and the Head Warrior of the Shadow Moon pack."

"What about the Delta?"

"Ariana stays out of this. She is too young for a battle."

Brandon nodded in understanding.

"Anything else?" I asked, turning to leave.

"There is one more thing actually, Alpha Nathan has asked for a favor."

===

Brandon and I split up as we reached the lawn. He walked away to make arrangements for tomorrow while I stood there looking at the lawn where the mates were dancing.

Where was my mate?

I tried to mind-link her, but it seemed her walls were way up. It felt like she was tense which made me feel uneasy.

I started away from the crowd, hoping to find her amidst the celebrations which were now waning. Her scent was becoming stronger as I walked towards the deserted part of the lawn.

But suddenly, another scent stopped my stride. My mate and my cousin were a few feet away, facing each other. They had not seen me yet and it seemed like they were having a stand-off.

If that mutt does anything to my mate, I am going to rip him into pieces said Leon.

I know, but better we listen in before jumping to conclusions.

Trying to be discreet, my ears perked up to listen in to the conversation.

"...Alpha Lucas is my cousin and I respect him a lot as a brother and as my Alpha. I have the same amount of respect for you."

I stood there transfixed.

Was David apologizing?

My mate stared at David with a serious face.

"I want you to know that any form of misconduct will not tolerated in this pack and I do not want any other woman coming to me with complaints about you. Is that understood?"

"Yes Luna, am I forgiven?"

"For now, yes."

David seemed to be relieved and bowed his head.

"Thank you Luna, that is all I wanted. And I must say, you will be a great Luna."

"Thank you" smiled my mate.

I felt pride in my chest. My cousin had apologized for his behavior and my mate had accepted it. A pack always felt good when the members were cordial. I decided to step out of the shadows and make myself shown.

"David, good to see coming around" I said, walking towards them.

"Alpha, just setting things straight. I owe you an apology as well" said David.

I smiled. The men in our family, especially those who were important in the pack never felt the need to apologize. But I was glad that it was changing.

"You do but so do I cousin" I said, remembering the time when I had beat him to pulp.

"It is okay Luca, I deserved it."

Smiling at David, I sneaked my hands around Athie's waist. The move was relaxing and the air was calm.

"Thank you Alpha, Luna" said David and took his leave.

"I am glad that he apologized" I said, staring at his retrieving figure.

"Me too" replied my mate.

===