Chapter 2

Lucas's POV

We had to start off early in the morning to reach the camp in New Hampshire. Our pack is in Massachusetts hence we did not have to drive for too long.

Beta Brandon was assigned to be at wheel hence I had advised him to have a good amount of sleep the evening before. At the same time, I had already briefed Ariana - my younger sister and the Delta - and the Head Warrior Vincent about pack activities and duties. Everything was settled and I could leave the pack in able hands.

However, moment we were in the car, my mother had called me to give me a earful regarding missing The American East Coast Werewolf Ball the other night. She was complaining of how little effort was I making with finding a mate and how I should be more responsible for my own well-being for once.

In my defense, our pack, the Shadow Moon Pack was still reeling from my father's death and we were doing everything to get back on our feet. Of course, it had been two years since his death and me taking over the Alpha role; we were indeed in a better place, but nevertheless, I did not have time for a mate now.

However, you could not escape my mother's wrath.

"Mama, I told you I would get meet my mate when the time comes, so please."

"Mio figlio, I am not pressurizing you to get a mate but at least be on the lookout. I don't want you to miss any chance of meeting her or him."

"MAMA!"

"Oh Luca, I am open minded like that."

"I will talk to you later mama, we are travelling" I grumbled cutting the call.

"Mother Luna troubling you?" asked Brandon steering the car to the left lane.

"Yeah, she was giving me a earful about not being on the lookout for a mate" I said massaging my temple.

"Aren't you waiting for her? Or curious?" he asked with a smug smile.

"Oh I am curious, but I do not need one for now. Maybe when the time is right."

"If you keep thinking the same, the time will never be right Luca."

Sigh. At times, my best friend knows too much.

"Let us just get over with this Camp Rogue."

===

This was my second time at Camp Rogue. Every year, dozens of werewolves who turned eighteen would participate in various competitions ranging from fighting, tracking to healing to get selected by the visiting packs.

Camp Rogue was a place for the members of defeated packs and  orphaned werewolves to get a chance to a new life. The Camp is more like a rehabilitation center. Those who are sent to the camp before they turn eighteen, are trained in a chief skills like fighting, healing, tracking, etc. based on their aptitude and wolf blood. Once they turn eighteen, they compete in their chief skill in the Spring competition.

For adults who are sent to the camp, they are provided with work opportunities or on exceptional basis allowed to participate in the adult competitions that are held in Fall.

More Alphas go to Camp Rogue for young blood, where they can scout the next pack warrior or doctor. Fighting and healing are the most demanding skills for any pack.

As we entered the gates of the 500 acre property, we could see quite a few friends and foes. Most of us were dressed in formals - dress pants and a shirt with a blazer on. We were ushered into the VIP area of the arena entrance by the staff. A staff member was getting a head count done and distributing the selection papers. The competition was due in 45 minutes.

"Hey Lucas. How are you doing?" asked Alpha Nathaniel approaching me.

"Hey Nathan, all good, how about you and your pack?"  I asked giving him a brotherly hug.

"All the same except where Alpha Helder is asking for more of land from the Midnight Pack. The request came in a month back. It is with The United States Werewolf Bench now."

"Isn't this the third request in 12 months?"

"Yes it is, we had rejected the last two and hence he sent the third one to The Bench. The hearing is next month. You should get an invite soon."

"I will keep an eye out for it Nathan. Anything Shadow Moon can do to help" I said, assuring him that we were allies no matter what.

===

My nerves were on the edge as I sat in the second row of the arena. The arena was more like The Colosseum, where the fighters were surrounded by audience on all sides. If interested in any fighter, we mark it on the selection paper and after the match, we could vote for them to be in our pack.

As soon as the clock struck 9 am, a red-haired boy walked into the arena flanked by guards from the left door.

I looked down at the paper.

Gerald Maine, eighteen years and three months old, orphaned at three years old and abandoned by the pack. Parents belonged to the Dark Forest Pack in Maine. No names of the parents available. Warrior blood.

No wonder the boy's last name was the state. 

I turned to the right to see his opponent. A brunette girl was being escorted by the guards.

The moment she step foot into the arena, this wonderful scent hit my nose.

Lilac and sandalwood my wolf howled.

She was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes on. Her hair was tied into a high ponytail while her face wore a very determined look. My eyes took the freedom of roaming her body, but I stopped at the clothes - a blue sports bra and black shorts.

Her chest heaved and she looked like she was going to rip Gerald apart.

Wait a minute.

I looked around. If I was watching this, so were the other males in the audience.

G R O W L

Brandon turned to me with a funny expression. The growl was low but he had heard it.

"Everything okay Alpha?"

Deep breaths Lucas, deep breaths.

"Yes, I am good."

I could feel Brandon's gaze linger on my face for about five seconds and then turn to the arena.

Close escape. Need to be careful the next time.

I rubbed my temples again. Suddenly, I could feel the pit of my stomach sicken. She was here to fight.

I looked down at the paper again.

Athena Xiphos, eighteen years old, orphaned during battle. Daughter of Alpha Zeus and Luna Metis of the Dark Xiphos pack. Alpha blood.

My eyes went to the arena.

She dusted her palms on her strong sexy thighs and crouched to an attack stance.

My eyes were glued to her. I was like a hawk scrutinizing her every move.

The referee made the announcement and the bullet was shot in the air.

My breath hitched in my throat.

Moon Goddess, please don't let my baby get hurt.

After circling for a few seconds, she dropped her right leg back and went in for an attack. The boy struck a defensive pose and with a speed of light, she had pinned him to the ground.

The whistle shrieked.

"Round One. Won by Athena Xiphos."

I left the breath that I was holding.

I could have never been more proud of my mate and the soon-to-be Luna of the Shadow Moon Pack.

===

A/N: POVs will be as per the story flow. Do vote if you liked this. Encourages me to write more :)