Chapter 42

Athena's POV

The hospital was not far-off from the pack-lands, instead, it was a thirty minute drive. I stared outside the window deep in thought.

It was one thing to be introduced as a Warrior to the pack, but it was a whole other intimidating situation when you were going to be introduced as a Luna to the same pack.

"What will they think about us Luca? We hid it from them."

I could feel his eyes on me. I did not turn to face him, instead, my eyes were focused somewhere far off with the scenery we were racing through.

"Babe, come here."

I turned to look at him, his arms were outstretched.

After a moment of hesitation, I plastered a small smile and scooted closer to him. I was thankful that it was my good shoulder was facing him. My head rested on his chest, sideways, and he carefully put is arms around me so as to not hurt my shoulder.

"The first time I saw you at the arena, I knew you were the most beautiful person I had ever seen. That day I even realized how brave you were, you killed a hunter in that locker room. You have no clue how lucky I am for having a mate like you - one who can love, fight, protect - every Alpha would want a Luna like you. I know Athie that I came around late, I was not ready to make you a Warrior as well as my Luna, but I was wrong. I should have cherished what I had and instead I fell prey to my insecurities and fears."

Tears had welled up in my eyes. I lifted my head to stare into my mate's eyes. His glassy eyes found mine and his hands cupped my cheeks.

"When you were lying on that ground, bleeding, you have no clue how I felt. The excruciating pain I was put through, nobody should go through that. The Goddess made you mine for a reason and if I as the Alpha of the Shadow Moon Pack were to become a hindrance in my mate's life, what Alpha does that make me? I respect and love you Athie, and I promise that I will always be there to protect you no matter what."

The whole world around us had come to a standstill. Our eyes were caught in a daze and the moment felt like heaven.

"What you did to those hunters, those monsters who threaten our species, was  courageous. Our pack is proud of their Luna, the one fought with fierceness and valor. Not only our pack, but the whole werewolf world be weaving stories around your bravery.  Everyone just wants to write ballads about you. How Luna Athena, who is also a Warrior, fought bravely against the enemy of our species. You deserve a greater space in the world my love. And I can proudly tell everyone that you are my Luna Warrior."

===

I stared at the open door of the car. Lucas was standing, holding the door, with a smile on his face.

"They will love you Luna" said Brandon from the driver's seat.

"Thank you Brandon" I said, glad to get a dose of encouragement from the Beta too.

What Lucas told me  few minutes back reduced my fear, but I had yet to prove the same for my own sanity. Being the Luna was a huge responsibility but I was ready to learn along the way.

Giving my mate a grin, I outstretched my free arm to Luca who held my hand to help me. Adjusting my footing on the ground, I ducked out of the car. Luca pulled me effortlessly towards him, pulling me slightly towards his torso. He put his arm around my waist and helped me regain my balance.

Our eyes found each other's and his lips went to my forehead.

"You are already doing great" he whispered, pecking my forehead.

I nodded at him and looked at the scene in front of me.

Ari and Luna Irene were on the front, with the Warriors behind them. The whole pack had gathered behind them, their curious and gleeful eyes starting at us in anticipation.

My eyes traveled to the people I knew in the crowd. Ariana waved at me as I looked at her, I returned her a wave; Luna Irene stood there with a wide smile and I gave her a shy smile; Vincent stood behind them looking at me with a small smile, Timothy smiled so much so that the sides of his eyes were crinkling, Max had a sweet smile and stood at ease, Mateo caught my eye and nodded with a respectful smile on his face, David had plastered a wistful smile but he did not meet my eye.

Behind them the whole pack stood, men, women, little children, all eager to meet their new Luna.

My eyes went back to my mate who had a wide grin of his own. Sensing my gaze, he looked at me and squeezed me by my waist in an attempt to reassure me. 

But I did not need reassurance, not now anyway.

It was because it felt like I was finally home.

===