Chapter 43

Athena's POV

The welcome party was in full swing in the main pack house while we arrived. The whole pack had put together a mid-morning party to welcome their new Luna and to be honest, it was a bit overwhelming.

"Luna Athena, it is a pleasure to meet you, formally" said Elder Alonzo.

"Thank you Elder Alonzo, it is a pleasure to meet you as well."

Lucas and I were standing among the Elders of the pack who had come to visit their Luna. The Elders were the most experienced werewolves in the pack, a rarity among our species. They had outlived many of the tragedies that had occurred in the world and sought out to help out their packs, the Council and the Throne in every way possible. Many of them stayed away from their pack, for leisure post 'retirement' and various special duties given to them by the Throne. But they always associated themselves with the pack back home and visited during a major event.

"We must initiate your joining ceremony tonight. The moon shall be bright and the Goddess has blessed the Shadow Moon pack with a Luna."

I stood transfixed looking at Elder Alfonzo. Sensing my tensed body, Lucas turned his head towards me.

"It will be fine," he whispered, "you will do great."

Elder Alfonzo smiled at our exchange.

"Don't worry Luna Athena, the process will not hurt."

"Thank you for the reassurance Elder Alfonzo, but I am a bit nervous."

"You fought our enemies with valor and pride. We could not ask for a better Luna."

"Thank you Elder, it means a lot coming from you."

Suddenly, a shrilly voice sounded in the air.

"LUNA!"

I turned to see a little girl running towards me. Smiling , I knelt down on the floor.

"Luna! My name is Bella!" 

"Hello Bella, I am Athena."

"Athena? But mom said you're Luna!"

I smiled at her innocence.

"Bella, where did you run off to?"

I lifted my head up to see a middle aged woman walking quickly towards us.

"Oh, Luna" she said, bowing her head, "I am sorry, she just ran off from.."

"It is okay, she is an eccentric one," I said standing up on my feet.

"Of course, Bella has been gushing about you all day," she said smiling, "I am Audrey and this is my daughter Bella. It is a pleasure to meet you Luna."

"Mom, her name is not Luna, her name is Athena!"

Audrey made a swatting expression at her.

"No, no. It is okay Audrey-"

"No Luna, I am very sorry about this-"

"It is completely fine, she is just a child," I said grinning at Bella, "you can call me Luna or Thena, anything you want. Would you like to be my friend?"

"REALLY? YOU WANT TO BE MY FRIEND?" shrieked Bella, grabbing the attention of those around us.

"Of course, I would like to be your friend," I said, outstretching my right hand, "Hi Bella, would you like to be my friend?"

Audrey's eyes were moving between both of us.

"YES! I WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND!" shouted Bella, making me giggle.

Suddenly, I felt a hand sneaking up my waist.

"Alpha" said Audrey in a hushed tone.

"Hello Audrey, hi Bella, are you enjoying the party?"

"Yes we are, Alpha Lucas. Thank you for inviting us, we were forever grateful to you and our Luna."

I smiled at Audrey. Being a Luna was new for me, it all felt warm and fuzzy at is was still fresh. I looked at Lucas who was thanking Audrey for her kind words.

Maybe I could be a good Luna after all.

===

"Are still you nervous?" asked Lucas, wrapping his arms around me.

"A little. What is the procedure?"

It was late afternoon and most of the pack members had departed home. Only a few remained in the Alpha House, including the Beta, Delta, Luna Irene and the Elders. Lucas and I were tucked into the cozy corner on the couch, finally getting time to ourselves.

"It is not a huge process. Both of us will stand in front of the pack and you need to agree to some statements made by an Elder, in this case I am sure Elder Alonzo will be happy to lead. After that, both of us will have to slit our thumbs and exchange blood. And then.."

My head perked up. His chin had a slight stubble and I brought my hands to rub it. Lucas breathed in sharply at my touch.

"And then?" I repeated.

At my words, he snapped out of the trance. His palms cupped my cheeks and brought his face to mine.

"You know I love you right, and that you are my mate?"

Nod.

"And I would never do anything to hurt you?"

Frown. 

"Luca, get to the point."

"I don't want to scare you or push you away.."

"Then just say it!" I heaved, "And then what?"

He took a deep breath and touched his forehead to mine.

"And then I mark you."

===