Chapter 40

Athena's POV

My eyes brimmed with tears as I stared up at Luna Irene. Ariana held my free hand. 

"That is the best thing anybody has ever said to me" I said, looking at Luna Irene.

Her hands wound around my body, careful to not tighten the embrace. She gave me a motherly smile and kissed my forehead.

"Mia figlia, you are like a daughter to me. When I look at you, it takes me to my younger days, I see the same fire in you. You are a gem, mia cara."

Never had I felt this overwhelmed with love. Love and care were foreign feelings for me, I had not had the luxury to experience the same for as far as I could remember. The only time I had come close to the same was when Lucas had agreed to my condition. My eyes roamed around the room. Brandon was standing a few feet away. Ariana was seated on my bed holding my hand. And Lucas was standing at the foot of the bed.

My breath hitched in my throat as I look at him. He had bags under his eyes and his face looked tired. But a small smile played on his lips. Our eyes bore into each other's with fervor. The room was silent until Luna Irene spoke.

"The room is too hot for my liking. It is better that we leave."

===

My mate shifted uncomfortably in the seat beside the bed. I stared at him with awe and concern. The others had conveniently made their way out of the room to give us some space. This was the first time we would be talking after the incident.

"So..." he started.

I cleared my throat. Where do I start?

"I am glad that you are okay" he said.

"I am glad that I am okay too" I replied, with a smile.

A grin formed on his achingly handsome face. He got up from the chair and sat on the bed. My eyes followed every move of his.

 "Athie," he started, moving a stray hair off my face, "you really scared the shit out of me, you know."

I giggled.

"Yes, I know" I said, stretching my unhurt hand to hold his, "I am sorry, I should have told you."

"No, don't be sorry. We should have spoken earlier, more specifically, I should have cleared it up earlier."

A brief silence fell between us.

"The only reason I did not want you to be Warrior is because it worries me."

"Luca-" I started, but was cutoff.

"No, let me finish," he scooted closer, "I am sorry that I avoided the talk, I am sorry that I was not brave enough earlier, I am sorry that I failed as a mate and did not respect your wishes. I am sorry that-"

I cut him off by smashing my lips onto his. For a small second, he was shocked but after a few seconds gave in by moving his lips aggressively against mine. His palms cupped my face and he deepened the kiss. We finally broke apart heaving after what felt like an eternity, our foreheads touching.

"I love you, Athie."

"I love you too Luca."

===

A/N: Short and sweet, but there are many more chapters coming in, this book is far from over. Thank you for reading :)