Chapter 14

A/N: Not edited. Ignore typos and errors.

Lucas's POV

Looking at Ariana offering to show Athena around, my wolf was relieved. At least, my mate was with someone trustworthy. Not that I did not trust my pack, but post yesterday's happenings, I was determined to protect my mate at any cost. However, this was a living irony as my mate was now going to be a warrior in my pack.

Better close than far said Leon.

Of course, why do you think I agreed to her condition I replied.

"Alpha" said Brandon, "I have loaded the photographs and the CCTV footage to your computer."

We walked to the office and made ourselves comfortable on the couch.

There were three CCTV cameras covering the path to the arena. There was one at the gates, one covering the VIP area and one capturing the audience entrance.

We started reviewing the tapes from six in the morning on the day of the ambush.

"Should I ask how did you obtain these Brandon?" I asked wondering how on Earth did he bypass The Bench to get hands on the investigative material.

"I improvise" he shrugged adjusting the laptop on his lap.

I didn't want to push the topic any further. He was my Beta and my best friend, I trusted him with my life.

===

After what felt like hours of reviewing photographs and CCTV tapes, we finally reached to the following conclusions:

1. The hunters knew about the competition and the presence of higher pack authorities.

2. The hunters did not enter the Camp via the main gates and it seemed like they were already inside the property when the day began.
Which meant that they had help on the inside.

3. The only time the hunters were caught on the CCTV tapes was when the ambush occurred. There was no sign of them otherwise.

"We need more information" I said looking at my Beta.

"Yes Alpha, let me also liaise with Beta Jared on what he could find."

" Good. And make sure you've covered all the CCTV cameras. If the hunters entered from anywhere on the property, there should be a CCTV present."

My Beta gave me a nod and exited the office.

I sulked on the couch rubbing my temples.

I want to see my mate whined Leon.

Me too, but how can we?

Let us sneak into her room tonight!

I smiled at the wickedness of my wolf.

Let me see I said unsure of how she would react seeing us there.

"LUCA!"

Suddenly I was on my feet. I had completely forgotten to meet mamma ever since I got back.

Shit. I am dead today.

I ran out of the office in search of her.

There she was, standing with arms crossed across her chest at the top of the stairs.

"You returned this afternoon and did not even care to meet me?"

I winced.

"Sorry Mama, I was very busy" I said pulling her into a hug.

"Troppo impegnato per tua madre."

(Too busy for your mother)

"Sorry Mama, but you know how these things are."

"So, how was Camp Rogue? Did you find any talent?"

Good, this was a nice conversational topic. Of course, I could not tell her about the ambush. I had already asked Brandon to not tell her so.

"Camp Rogue was great mamma. Yes, I found a warrior at the camp. She is in the warrior pack house."

"Oh, a lady. That is unique."

"Yes, she is a good one. The best out there" I smiled.

"Hmph."

I frowned.

"Everything okay ma? If it is about the ball then-"

"No, it is not about the ball. It is about when were you planning for your mother to know about the hunter attack at Camp Rogue?"

Fuck. I am really dead today.

===