Chapter 39

[NOAH]

"Where are you going in such a rush Noah?" Ms. Clare, Jenny's aunt, spoke from behind me as I was about to reach for the doorknob leading outside of the house.

I cleared my throat, slowly turning around to face her. I tried to pull off a smile.

"Out," my voice became raspy for some reason so I did another growl.

"But dinner's almost ready," she said.

I ignored her and decided to change the topic instead. "Have you seen Emily?"

Ms. Clare cocked an eyebrow and pointed the silver spatula at me. "You mean your mom?" She placed her other hand on her hip.

"Yes," whatever.

"She's upstairs in Angel's room sleeping. Your mother has had plenty of drinks when she came over the bar this afternoon.

Tsk.

Speaking of Angel, she popped out behind Clare from the kitchen. Angel exchanged quick glances between me and Clare with question marks plastered all over her face.

"I'm just gonna go to the convenience store," I lied just so she'd shut up and let me leave.

"Can I come with?" Angel spat to my surprise. I thought she doesn't like going out especially at this time of the night?

Ms. Clare glanced behind her shoulder. "Really?" It seemed she was just as surprised as I was.

"Yeah," Angel shrugged. "There's something I need to buy at the convenience store anyways so..."

"Can't it wait till tomorrow?" Clare sighed. "In case you're forgetting there's a killer on the loose."

My jaws went stiff but I acted stern.

Angel shook her head and respond. "I'll be with Noah anyways. He'll slaughter whoever that killer is into pieces."

Clare gasped. "Angel!"

She shrugged and giggled. "It was just a figure of speech. Geez."

Oh if only they knew.

I just wish they'd get it over with so I can go. If I stay here any second longer I'm going to lose it.

Jenny was mad at me because I did something. And I knew what I did was wrong.

"I hate you!" Jenny's words echoed in my head. My face scrunched and they noticed it.

"Noah are you okay?" Clare asked taking a step forward.

"I'm fine!" I unintentionally scorned. "I really need to go," I pushed the door open. "Angel are you still coming?"

"Uhh... Yeah."

*****

So eventually, I ended up really did going to the nearest convenience store.

My original plan was to spend the night at my secret cabin. But then, I don't want to reveal that place to anyone, especially not to Jenny's sister. Besides, I still haven't cleaned up the place so it technically reeks in rotten blood. She might get an idea.

Angel sat next to me on a curb right outside the convenience store. I ended up buying a pack of skittles while she bought chocolates.

But she didn't want to go home yet so we decided to buy ice cream in cones as well.

A gush of wind blew passed us, making her shiver. She was only wearing a black tank top with sweatpants so I can tell why she was cold. She hugged herself while continuing to lick her ice cream.