Horrible father (12)

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly" - the Beatles

☆☆☆

I put the final box in the living room before crashing down onto the fancy Italian sofa.

      "DONEEEE", Nathan screams out, slowly sinking into the floor like a snake. "I don't get why you took your whole ass inheritance with you. I mean..."

I just stare at the boxes, trying to figure out what I'll store away. Nate's voice slowly slips away from my ear, blocking, until I only hear muffled voices.

My hand glips to my stomach, slowly rubbing comforting circles.

I have to buy some pregnancy books and most likely go to the doctor this week, but no one may know. How will I possibly keep this a secret?

Keeping this away from all ears and eyes.

Sooner or later it will come out. Maybe I shouldn't keep it a secret, but I.... I am terrified of his reaction.

       "FAYE!"

I get pulled out of my thinking bulb by a loud Nathan who is shaking his head like crazy. He points to my face, betrayed.

      "I've been calling your name for the past minute. WERE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO MY EPIC STORY?!"

       "Yes?", I try to sound convincing, but my voice only comes out as a mere whisper, hoarse and dry.

      "Hey," his voice and face suddenly change to dead-serious. "Are you alright? You have been out of it since earlier."

His hand comes out to rest on my forehead, checking for a fever.

      "Yups, I'm perfectly fine", I smile, patting his hand away.

      "You look so pale."

       "When am I not pale?"

        "Your voice sounds sick."

        "It's only a cold."

         "It's 100 degrees."

         "A cold can always happen."

         "URGH!", he slaps his face immensely hard before continuing to talk.... more like scold. "I know something is bothering you. We are best friends. We've never hidden anything from each other so..." he takes a loud breather. "TELL ME, YOU BITCH."

My mouth falls open from shock, I was taken aback from the realisation that I shouldn't be hiding.

There was absolutely no reason for me to. I should rather be truthful and await for the answers rather than being a scared chicken which will only make things worse when the truth comes out.

"I...", I stop for a second, still hesitating whether I should drop the biggest bombshell from all eternity or remain silent which is a safe game... for now.

"You?"

"I am..."

"You are pregnant!", he exclaims, punching my upper arm with a strong and firm fist which stung like hell... but that was the least of my worries.

"Wait... what... how??", I howl in pure confusion. My heart skipped a beat, I felt nauseous and sick.

An awkward silence dominates the room before Nathan broke down in laughter, rolling on the floor like a dog.

"Y-you...", he stops for a moment to breathe, wiping the tears that erupted from his intense laughing which for some reason included a hint of pure hilarity and humour.