Boys

CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7

(Val POV)

Later that evening, Mal, Evie and I were in our room when Jane joined us.

"Mom said, 'If a boy can't see the beauty within, then he's not worth it.' Can you believe it? What world does she live in?" Jane explains what happened when she asked her mom about the wand.

"Auradon," I answer.

"Mal, Val, do you like?" Evie asks as she holds up the dress that she created.

"Yeah. It's cute," Mal says as she glances up from her work.

"It brings out your eyes," I answer her.

"I know," Evie says.

"I'll never get a boyfriend," Jane complains.

"Boyfriends are overrated," Mal and I say at the same time.

"You two are creepy. Val, I understand but how would you know Mal? You've never had one," Evie says. I know you're all wondering who I could have been with on the Isle but that's a story for another time.

"It's 'cause I don't need one, E. They're a waste of time," Mal explains and I roll my eyes. Then Evie gasps.

"I forgot to do Chad's homework! Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no," Evie says as she picks up a bag full of books.

"And that is exactly what I mean," Mal states.

"Hey, guys! I'm Lonnie," A girl with a bob says as she enters the room. I had a feeling that me and her could possibly be good friends. "My mom's Mulan? No? Anyways, I love what you've done with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us, and, well, you're evil. But do you think you could do mine?"

"Why would we do that for you?" Mal asks.

"I'll pay you 50 dollars," Lonnie answers and that gets mine and Evie's attention.

"Good answer. I need to buy more material. Let's see, I'm thinking, we lose the bangs, maybe some layers and some highlights.

"Yeah, yeah. I want it cool. Like Val's," Lonnie says which makes me smirk.

"Really? The split ends, too?" Evie asks which makes me scowl.

"Okay. Book me, Mal. It's my turn," I say and Mal tosses me the book. "'Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair.'" I move my finger around which makes Lonnie's head move. Lonnie then goes to look in the mirror speechless.

"I know. I know. It looks like a mop on your head. You know what? Let's cut it off, layer it..." Evie starts.

"No, no, no, no, no, no! I love it," Lonnie interrupts her.

"You do?" Evie asks.

"It's just..." Lonnie says before ripping the side of her skirt. "Now I'm cool."

"Like ice," I state as I swing around the bedpost. Jane then walks over to the mirror and rips her skirt before gasping.

"What did I just do? Mom's gonna kill me!" Jane states. I then look at the time and remember the meeting that Jay and I have with Coach.

"I gotta go. I'll see you later," I say before running out of the door and to the bleachers. Coach and Jay then arrive before sitting down.

(Jay POV)

"I could really use a tough guy like you," Coach says as he hands me a rule book. "The team's a bunch of princes if you know what I mean. That's why I want to add you to the team as well to have more diversity and equality." Coach looks at Val.

"You're telling me about them being a bunch of princes," She tells him with a smile. She actually has been using real smiles since we got here. Her smiles are gorgeous. I notice that I'm caught up in my thoughts when I notice Val walking off with a uniform in her hand.

"Yeah. It's all, 'after you, old chum.' 'Oh, pardon me, did I bump into you?' Where we come from it is, prepare to die, sucker! As my father says, 'the only way to win is to make sure everyone else loses!'" I explain as I get riled up.

"Jay! Jay, Jay, Jay!" Coach says as he gets my attention. "let me explain a team. Uh, It's like a family."

"You do not want to be at my house at dinner time," I tell him.

"Okay, okay, um... You know how a body has a lot of different parts? The legs, elbows, ears. But they all need each other. Well, that's what a team is different players who work together to win. Make any sense?" Coach explains.

"Can I be the fist?" I ask Coach excitedly. Coach laughs before handing me a jersey with my name and the number eight in the back. I slide the jersey on before I head to the girls' room where everyone should be.

"Yo-ho-ho!" I say as I walk through the door. Carlos and Val wolf whistle. Val and Mal are sitting beside each other as they go through the spell book. I walk over to them.

"Did your plan work with Jane? Are you both going over to see the wand?" I ask them.

"Do you think that I would be going through every single spell in this book. If we hadn't completely struck out?" Mal answers rudely.

"Oh, someone's in a bad mood," Carlos comments which earns him a thump on the head from Val.

"Our mom's counting on us!" Val says as she rubs Mal's shoulder in comfort.

"I can't let her down!" Mal stresses.

"We can do this..." I say which gets everyone's attention. "If we stick together." Val smiles up at me which makes me smile.

"And we won't go back until we do," Mal states.

"Because we're rotten..." Val starts.

"To the core," We all finish.

(Val POV)

"Oh, yeah. I found out that fairy godmother blesses Ben with the wand at the coronation and we all get to go. I have nothing to wear, of course," Evie explains as Mal and I look at her in shock. "What?" There is then a knock at the door.

"Hold that thought," Mal says as she gets up to answer the door and finds Ben on the other side.

"Hey, Mal. I didn't see you guys today. I was just wondering if you had any questions or anything that you needed..." Ben explains.

"Not that I know of," Mal answers as she looks back at us.

"Okay. All right. Well, uh, if you need anything, just, uh..." Ben says as he goes to walk away.

"Oh, wait!" Mal calls out making him stop. "Um, is it true that we all get to go to your coronation?"

"Yeah, the whole school goes," Ben answers.

"Wow. That is beyond exciting. Do you think that it's a possibility that the five of us could stand in the front row next to the fairy godmother, just so we could soak up all that goodness?" Mal asks.

"I wish you could. Up front, it's just me, my folks, and my girlfriend," Ben answers.

"And your girlfriend?" Mal asks and that gives me an idea. I grab the spell book and start going through it.

"Yeah. I'm sorry," Ben apologizes.

"Okay. Thanks, bye," Mal says as she closes the door in his face and turns to us. "I think it's time that Bennyboo got himself a new girlfriend. And I need a love spell."

"I have already found one," I tell her with a smirk.