Space Between

CHAPTER 23

CHAPTER 23

(Val POV)

We get back to Auradon and head to their dorm.

"Oh, I'm sorry I'm so late, Dude. Ben got captured," Carlos explains as Dude meets us in the hallway.

"Don't. Why is our door open?" Jay asks when Carlos goes to walk forward after picking Dude up.

"You've got to be kidding me," Carlos says as we walk in to see Chad.

"I knocked," Chad explains.

"Go on, Dude," Carlos says as he sets Dude down before holding out his hand. Chad then hands him a key.

"What is that?" Jay asks.

"Oh. That's a little Chad action figure. Well, minus the head," Chad answers.

"Sounds like an improvement," I state.

"Excuse me," Carlos says as he shoves Chad away from the printer. "All right. Here we go." Carlos pulls up the layout on his phone.

"Why are you guys making Fairy Godmother's wand?" Chad asks as he peeks over Jay's shoulder.

"Oh. Uh, why are we making Fairy Godmother's wand?" Carlos asks Jay. Jay motions for Carlos to tell him. I see Lonnie peeking in through the door. "Because, uh..."

"Ben's been captured!" Dude says.

"What?! Dude can talk?" Chad asks.

"I was stalling," Carlos says.

"I thought you forgot," Dud says.

"Don't tell anyone! Ben's life depends on it," Jay says as he hits Chad's arm. I look at Lonnie and she catches me looking at her. I mouth swords at her and wink before she nods and leaves.

"Really? So, if something were to happen, you know what I'm saying..." Chad says.

"Something bad, we get it," Carlos says.

"God forbid. But if something were to happen, who do you think would be in line to be king?

"Is it me, or is that in really poor taste?" I ask as Jay moves over to the door and motions for Chad to leave.

"I'm taking this. And if you think I..." Chad says and Jay slams the door in his face.

"Thank you, Jay. All right," Carlos says as he starts the printer. I walk out of the room and to my dorm. I had a big decision to make. Do I stay on the Isle or see if Jay is telling the truth?

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jay asks and I turn to see him enter the room.

"Nah. I don't think I'm coming back, Jay. I can't. I really tried to tell you and I'm so unsure if what you are saying is true or just trying to get me to stay. But, I mean, I saw the way your face lit up when we played tourney for the first time. And I couldn't spoil that for you," I answer him.