Chapter 24

Satomi leads them into her home, and puts the kettle on, she grabs mugs down and doesn't say a word. Stiles can see her thinking, can almost feel the gears in her mind turning, whether to process his question, or to think it over, Stiles isn't sure.

She sets the mugs in front of each of them, and Stiles is pleased to see that it's green tea, which he actually likes. Satomi shoots him a knowing look and Stiles wonders if it was in his scent, or if she just guessed.

"Now, what did you boys want to know?" She asks, and Stiles waits for one of the Hales to say something, but they're staring at him and don't bother saying anything, or trying to.

"We want to know if it's possible to give, or take an Alpha spark without killing the Alpha." Stiles answers, with a smile.

"From what most wolves know there isn't another way to take the Alpha spark," she pauses and eyes them thoughtfully. "Although, I've heard of a ritual being done so that the Alpha is alive and well." Satomi smiles, and Stiles thinks carefully.

"How is the ritual done?" Derek asks, and Stiles jumps a little at hearing his voice, it's soft and hesitant. Derek is always confident, so Stiles stares at him for a second.

"Well, in the case it's a willing Alpha then it's almost like when a wolf takes pain from someone, expect the Alpha has to reach within and find the Alpha spark and tug on it, let it flow through him or her and pass it into the other person." Satomi explains, and Stiles' eyes widen, it simpler than he thought it would be.

"Can a human receive the Alpha spark?" Peter questions, and his voice is just as soft, just as hesitant.

Satomi barks out a laugh at that question and glances at Stiles. "Of course they can." She answers with a grin, like they should've known that.

"And would it work the same way?" Stiles asks, and Satomi nods.

Stiles breaths a sigh of relief that this is out of the way, that they can quit researching and actually figure this out now. Derek and Peter relax beside him, and Stiles honestly thinks they're both acting a bit weird today, so was Satomi's pack. He's not sure what it's about, but he wonders if it's something to do with the way Peter and Derek are acting.

"It's trickier with a human though, they can still be an Alpha obviously, but they just won't be a werewolf. Surprisingly they can flash red eyes, smell better, hear better, they just don't get fangs, or claws." Satomi explains, and Stiles frowns.

"That sounds a lot easier than I thought it would be." Stiles wonders if he can convince Scott to give up his spark, they all know that he won't give it to Peter, and Peter doesn't seem to want it anyways.

Derek on the other hand, he wasn't a good Alpha at first, but he got there. Stiles thinks that if he's given another chance to be an Alpha that he won't screw it up this time, that he would be a really good Alpha this time. The problem isn't that Derek is opposed to being an Alpha again, it's more that he seems reluctant to be an Alpha again.

Stiles wonders who they would rather have as their Alpha, being that they do convince Scott to give the spark over to Stiles. Scott isn't that bad as an Alpha, but he puts his pack in danger over and over, getting them hurt, or almost killed. Scott is a True Alpha though.

"What about in a case of a True Alpha? Would it still work the same way?" Satomi eyes him carefully, and ponders the question carefully.

"That is another case altogether, the spark will only transfer if it senses a worthy being. If the spark senses that the person isn't worthy, well I'm not too sure what would happen, but it might just stay put and blast the other back, but it's hard to tell." Satomi explains, and Stiles sighs in relief. He is just glad that it's possible with a True Alpha, they just need to convince Scott first.

Satomi eyes them all, because Stiles isn't the only one who's relieved, and frowns.

"Are you planning on taking the spark from an Alpha?" She questions, raising an eyebrow. Derek and Peter glance at Stiles as if asking permission to answer.

"Yeah, the Alpha right now isn't doing a very good job to put it nicely, he's leading his pack into danger and not listening to his betas when they tell him it's too dangerous. He's more worried about the lives of others, and he doesn't care if his pack is hurt in the process, he's too trusting, let's bad people get away when they really shouldn't be allowed to live." Stiles explains with a strange anger present. 

"Not to mention he lets his emotions cloud his judgement." Derek mutters, glancing at Peter apologetically.

"He's too black and white, if someone kills someone it's not enough initiative to kill the being, because they're living and don't deserve to die even if they have killed. However, if it's a creature that's killed someone, then off with it's head." Peter snarks, grinning at Stiles, who nods in agreement.

Satomi is frowning in disapproval, and Stiles can relate. "Why not just kill the Alpha then?" She asks, and Stiles winces. Thankfully Peter answers before Stiles can.

"He's only a teenager, and Stiles is still rather fond of the boy." Peter averts Satomi's eyes when he answers, and Stiles wonders briefly if he should be doing the same, if it's a respectful thing to do between wolves.

"You are too kind." Satomi regards Stiles curiously, and directs the statement at him. Stiles doesn't completely understand why she says it, but Derek and Peter smile softly.

___________

They leave after that, thanking Satomi for her time, and answers to their questions. Her pack is still staring at them all in shock, and bewilderment. Stiles still isn't sure why they're doing it, but Peter and Derek don't say anything.

They get into the Jeep and Stiles isn't sure what he wants to ask Peter and Derek first, they can sense his questions but stay quiet and wait for him to ask them, Stiles doesn't like when they're this quiet it doesn't feel right.

"Why are you guys being so quiet?" Stiles starts, because it's really bothering him. Peter and Derek exchange a glance.

"We were waiting for you to ask us a question." Derek states, and Stiles turns to level him with a glare while sticking the key into the ignition and starting the Jeep.

"You mean when we were talking with Satomi?" Peter asks, picking up on what Stiles means, Stiles nods in response and begins backing the Jeep out of the preserve. "Well, I'm not sure if you've picked up on it, but you're acting as our Alpha Stiles." Peter states slowly, and Stiles frowns.

"I'm what? Wouldn't I know if I was acting as your Alpha?" He asks, glancing at Peter through the rear view mirror.

"Not necessarily, you've just had a lot of caring qualities. Alpha qualities if you will," Derek begins. "You've been feeding us, comforting us, and scent marking us. Protecting and caring for us, it's what makes a good Alpha." Derek finishes with a soft smile.

"Satomi and her pack could tell right away that's why they were shocked when you were so polite with Satomi and why she dipped her head in return." Peter adds, Stiles frowns.

"So the reason Satomi's pack was so surprised was because I dipped my head in a show respect, and called her ma'am." Stiles fills in, and Derek nods.

"The reason we were so quiet is because in a pack the Alpha normally does the talking, and we didn't know what you wanted to talk about, or what you wanted to ask." Peter expresses, and Stiles looks at them with annoyance.

"Well, from now on, I'll tell you if there is something I don't want to talk about with someone else, and you guys speak as much as you want. If you have anything to add, you add it, if you have questions, you ask." Stiles orders, and glances at the both of them. "Got it?" Peter and Derek nod, and smile at Stiles fondly.

"This is why you'd make a great Alpha." Derek hums, and Peter smirks. "No other Alphas are like that Stiles." Stiles has a sudden thought.

"Speaking of which, who's going to take the Alpha spark?" Stiles questions, and Peter and Derek literally facepalm at the exact same time, which causes Stiles to laugh at them.