Chapter 30

Stiles calls Scott a little bit after dinner, he's nervous about this whole thing, they might not be able to catch these people. If they can't catch them and figure out what's going on, and what they want, will they try to kill any of the pack?

"Hey Stiles, what's up?" Scott answers, and Stiles can hear the grin in his voice.

"Hey, umm, we might have a problem. Okay not might, we do have a problem." Stiles sighs, and Stiles can hear Scott close a door.

"What's going on?" Scott questions, Stiles bites his lip and begins to pace by the loft's window.

__________________________

Derek didn't know when it started, he thinks some time after returning to his normal self, but he can't be sure, he's never been too good with his feelings, and sorting through them. He's never really tried to understand them the way other people do. He didn't over analyze them either, it didn't help anyways.

Derek watches as Stiles begins to pace while talking to Scott and can tell that these feelings aren't mere ones of a bond with an Alpha, he wants to stop Stiles' anxiousness, which is common for wolves to do for their Alphas. What isn't common is wanting to hug and kiss their worries away, or go find who's causing said feelings and maim them.

Betas will do anything in their power to help their Alphas, but when his Mother was worried, all Derek felt was concern and wanted to help her in any way he could. He hadn't wanted to go find the person responsible for her nerves and maim them. He's never felt the need to do that for anyone, but Stiles. So, Derek's confused, he thinks he knows what the problem is, thinks that he may have feelings for Stiles, but isn't sure if it's the bond between Alpha and Beta. He doesn't know if he's confusing the two or not.

Derek sighs from his spot leaning against the wall, he really wishes Stiles would stop pacing. His wolf is freaking out and wants him to do something about it, and Derek doesn't know what to do. Peter went up to his room a little while ago, Derek's a little concerned about him too, he hasn't said much since dinner. This pack will be the death of Derek, he sighs again.

________________________

Stiles hangs the phone up with a sigh of relief, okay so now all they need to do is make a plan, that will hopefully catch this wolf. Stiles isn't too sure what to do, which is actually a first. He hopes that he can just forget about this for tonight and figure it out tomorrow. Derek comes up to him, but doesn't say anything, he just stares at Stiles. 

"Did Peter go to bed already?" Stiles asks, noticing that Peter isn't in the living room. Derek nods, and places his head on Stiles shoulder limply. Stiles smiles softly and puts one of his hands on Derek's head. 

"What's wrong Sourwolf?" Stiles grins at the nickname, and Derek just groans. He burrows further into Stiles' shoulder, before moving his head into the crook of Stiles' neck. "Seriously Derek, is something wrong?" Stiles asks, getting a bit concerned. He moves goes to move his head away from Derek's nose, but Derek wraps his arms around Stiles' waist and pulls him in.

"Stay." Derek pleads and Stiles stills, what on earth is wrong with him right now? Stiles doesn't get it, but he stays put. Derek buries his head further into his neck, and inhales, Stiles thinks it might be because of the whole him acting as their Alpha, but he can't be sure.

"Wanna go to bed?" Stiles asks, and Derek nods. He doesn't let go of Stiles though, and Stiles frowns beginning to move backward, toward the bedroom. Derek lets Stiles move, but doesn't let go of him, or move his nose. Stiles sighs, but keeps moving. 

When they get into the bedroom, Derek pushes Stiles back so he falls onto the bed, he crawls onto and sticks his nose right back into Stiles' neck. He tangles their legs together, he's practically laying on top of Stiles. Not that Stiles really cares, but Derek's acting weird, he's barely saying a word, but doesn't seem to want to let go of Stiles either.

__________________________

Derek doesn't know what this feeling is, but he doesn't want to let go of Stiles right now. He loves Stiles' scent, that much he knows, but he isn't sure whether it's because Stiles is his Alpha, or for some other reason. 

He pretty much lays on top of Stiles with his nose stuck in Stiles' neck, his scent is stronger here, and Derek can tell he's had too many cups of coffee just by his scent. Derek can also tell that Stiles must have found Peter's "secret stash," of sweets because he can smell them. Peter will probably blame Derek, or just pretend he doesn't notice. Which is funny because Peter used to do that with Derek and his siblings when they got into his sweets. 

Derek's happy that Peter was able to find happiness again, and that he's able to be a part of it. Derek cuddles closer to Stiles, and nuzzles his neck, Stiles breathes a laugh, squirming a little bit.

"That tickles." Stiles laughs when Derek does it again, just to hear Stiles laugh again. "Derek." Stiles breathes, and Derek stills and furrows his brow. His wolf is content under his skin, and he feels peaceful, happy. He wants to stay like this, he doesn't want to move, and he really doesn't want Stiles to move.

"Derek, are you sure you're okay?" Stiles asks, running a hand through Derek's hair, and Derek relaxes into Stiles more. 

"I'm just worried for Saturday is all." Derek responds, and Stiles sighs with a nod. 

"I think we all are," Stiles states, he continues to play with Derek's hair as he talks. "We don't know what to expect, and we don't know how many people are in this pack, or if it is a pack at all." Stiles says, and he curls a piece of Derek's hair over his finger.

"You seem calm." Derek mutters, and Stiles smiles softly.

"Because I trust you and Peter, I know that everything will be okay. Are you guys really sure you still want me to have the spark?" Stiles questions, and Derek nods, shifting to see Stiles.

"I don't make a good Alpha, it was proof enough back when I was an Alpha. I don't know if Peter trusts himself to become one again, even if he does have a pack to keep him stable this time. As for Scott, I think you already said it all, he just isn't a very good Alpha. Doesn't know about scent marking, and touch enough to know that wolves in packs need it." Derek explains, and Stiles nods, understanding.

"Well, I think this time around if either of you wanted to give it a shot, it wouldn't be so bad. The only reason Peter was a bad Alpha before, was because he was feral, not to mention his only Beta was rejecting him. I think this time around, it would be different, he would be different, he doesn't want to lose another pack. As for you mister, I think you'd be different too, you know a bit more about being an Alpha from the short time you were one, although you don't really like when the pups touch you, which is really the only problem." Stiles expresses, and Derek stares at him. 

"This is why we think you'd be the better Alpha, you know what a pack needs even though you're human. Not to mention, you don't care about the other touching you either, and you care for all of them, even Jackson." Derek smiles when Stiles frowns at him, Derek lets a little laugh slip at the expression Stiles is making.