Chapter 28

Peter doesn't know what to do, he's still in line to get the groceries, but he doesn't want to be. Stiles could be in danger, Derek could be walking into said danger. Peter can feel the panic buzzing under his skin, and he's not sure what to do. He knows that Stiles will be mad if he leaves the groceries and it's just a false alarm, but if it isn't they could both be in serious trouble. Peter wishes this line would move faster.

"Next." Comes the women at the tills voice, and Peter moves forward eagerly. She tries to make small conversation, but Peter barely glances at her.

"Thank you for shopping with us, have a nice day!" The lady says in an overly friendly voice to Peter as he's leaving.

"Yeah you too." He calls over his shoulder and he feels slightly bad for rushing this much, but his pack could be in danger. His can't lose another family, he won't be able to survive it a second time.

Peter misses the nasty look on the women's face as he speeds into the parking lot, he also misses her muttered scoff of not recognizing his own kind.

________________________

Peter's lucky that he doesn't get pulled over by the police, or worse Stiles' father. He never speeds, but Peter's using the full advantage of the sports car now. His panic is slowly rising and he doesn't know how to keep it in check.

He whips around a corner and can see the loft, but as he slows not wanting to crash into anyone, Peter swears he sees someone run from the bushes into the woods and then disappear. Peter can't follow them with his eyes, otherwise he'd crash Derek's car and probably hurt himself.

The person looks as though their running way too fast to be human, and Peter wonders if this is who has been watching their Alpha. Maybe there are other werewolves around that want Scott's power for themselves. Maybe they overheard Stiles and Scott talking about it, and might try to interfere. Peter feels a need to get home even more than before, and isn't sure what he should tell Derek, or Stiles.

He can't just say that someone was in the woods and he thinks someone might interfere with the exchange of Alpha power, without proof how would he tell them. They would think he's trying to steal the power for himself, again. Peter didn't want  to lose his pack, because that's what Derek and Stiles are, his pack.

______________________________

Stiles can tell almost immediately that something's up with Peter, besides the fact that he runs into the house without any groceries like a madman, and checks the whole house twice before calming down. He's not calm though, calmer maybe, but something else is bothering Peter, something he won't share with Derek and Stiles, no matter how many times he asks. Stiles can feel the panic, and fear through the pack bond coming from Peter's side, and it makes him and Derek exchange looks.

Peter's never scared, Stiles leaves it though, because Peter will come to him and Derek when he's ready. No matter what it is, they'll deal with it. Peter's a part of their pack, no matter what. Stiles has a feeling that Peter needs to feel this, in order to accept it, and he also has a feeling Peter will doubt his place more often than not. Which makes Stiles all the angier at Kate and whoever else had a hand in the Hale fire.

Peter seems to still be processing everything, so Stiles nudges Derek and they both go down to Derek's car to get the groceries. Stiles thinks of ways to show Peter that he's a part of this pack, but he's not sure what would help, the only thing that seems to help Peter is snuggling with Derek and him. Which they will probably end up doing anyways, considering how small their pack is to begin with. Maybe scent marking would work.

"Hey, Derek. Can I ask you a question?" Stiles asks, Derek looks up at him from the bottom of the staircase.

"Course, what's up?" Stiles smiles, and then shakes his head.

"When your family was still alive, what calmed Peter down?" Derek's eyes widen at the question, and he pushes the door open, holding it for Stiles, they begin walking to the car.

"Well, his wife always helped. When she wasn't around, it really just took scenting from pack members he was close to, including the Alpha of course." Derek answers, and a soft smile plays at his lips. "He was very soft back then, he still kinda is I guess, in his own ways." Stiles smiles and stops in front of Derek's car.

"When we go back up, can you scent him?" Stiles requests, and Derek blinks at him.

"I mean, I guess. Why? What's going on?" Derek looks down and pops the trunk of the car.

"I don't think he realizes that we accept him in our pack, and that he's here to stay no matter what." Stiles states with a shrug. "I think the scenting might help with some of his doubts, if not it will at least reassure him at the very least." Stiles explains, and Derek chuckles.

"You're a really good Alpha, you know." Derek smiles over his shoulder before handing him some bags.

Stiles and Derek lug all the groceries up to the loft, and put them all away before dealing with Peter. He's in the same spot he was when they went to get the groceries, and hardly moved when they came in. Stiles is a little concerned, and he sends some of that feeling down the bond, Peter snaps out of it after the feeling reaches him, and Stiles gets a feeling of surprise sent back. 

Derek steps up to Peter and places a hand on his shoulder, he runs his hand down Peter back, and then his arm, before sending him a small smile. Stiles counts that as baby steps to repairing their relationship. Stiles steps up to Peter next, he places a hand on Peter's neck, and slides it down to his shoulder. Stiles smiles at Peter's wide eyes, and slack jaw.

"You're in this pack whether you like it or not Peter, we'll never replace you, and no matter what happens we won't abandon you." Stiles declares, eyes shining like liquid gold in the setting sun. Stiles glances at Derek with a smile, and Derek nods. 

"We're all in this pack." Derek says, and Stiles swears he sees tears in Peter's eyes, but he can't tell for sure because then Peter's launching himself at Stiles, hugging his waist.

"So, don't doubt your place with us Peter." Stiles whispers, and Peter clings to him softly, a whimper escaping his lips, and Stiles heart breaks at the thought that Peter had been doubting himself.

Derek comes into the hug and wraps them both into his arms, Peter leans into both of their touches, and Stiles is just glad that everything seems okay. Peter will tell them what's going on when he's ready and that is what's important. Stiles smiles, and wraps his arms tightly around his pack. He'll fight tooth and nail for both of them. No matter what.