4

Jacob

 Buying in bulk is pretty awesome, it really cuts down on trips to the store. While you're here, you might as well get it, right? This place made leaving the rez to get groceries totally worth it.

A ten-pound bag of chicken nuggets? Hell yeah, we'll eat it!

A five-pound bag of curly fries? Sure, why not!

I pulled my phone out when I was in the dairy aisle, just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I smiled at my phone's wallpaper, a close up of Ness with a goofy grin. I loved having her in my pocket when she wasn't with me, as rare as that was.

My phone didn't show any new calls, no new messages. Satisfied that nobody was trying to reach me, I shoved my phone back in my pocket and finished the shopping.

When I passed the floral section, I couldn't resist getting some for my lovely ladies. I got Ness some white roses, and Swan some of the same after some thought. For the twins, I got some tinted daises that were all kinds of crazy colors, they'd love them. Asa would probably want some too so that he could stick them in the ground and try to get them to take root. Not wanting A.J. to feel left out, anything would set him off these days, I got him some too.

While my items were being scanned, I checked my phone again.

Holy shit, eight missed calls?

Apparently, I'd had some reception issues when I was deep inside the store. Now that I was in front of it by all these huge windows, it was back. I'd forgotten that this massive store is a total pit when it comes to phone reception.

I'd missed two calls from Swan's phone, three from Nessie's, and three from our house phone.

If you get eight missed calls from the same two people, chances are they are not calling just to say hi. 

I was as apologetic as I could be to the young cashier when I told her that I'd have to leave and come back for this stuff another time.

In the parking lot, I took long strides past my car. I'd be able to get home faster phased. After thinking about it for a second, I knew I'd be able to stick to the woods and not have to cross any roads. I didn't waste time checking voice mails. I was pretty sure I already knew what was going on. I called Ness and started running toward the house.

She didn't even say hello when she picked up, I could hear Swan crying.

"Ness? Sweetie, I'm so sorry. I didn't have any reception."

"Oh my God, Jake. He phased in the kitchen and then ran off. I don't know where he is, you have to phase and get him to come back, I couldn't catch him!" she cried.

"I will, are you guys okay there?"

"We're fine, don't worry about us. I hear howling so I think somebody is with him. Please, Jake, just find him," she begged.

"Okay, okay. He'll be fine. I'm phasing right now. I'll be home as soon as I can."

After tying my shorts around my legs I phased so quickly that it sort of hurt.

Dad? came Anthony's shaken voice in my head.

It's me, where are you?

I don't even know.

I heard Seth's voice next.

I'll phase back now, anything you want me to do?

Yeah, actually. Would you go to my house and stay with Ness until I get back?