36

Amy

 When I woke in the morning, A.J. was staring right at me. "What? Was I snoring or something?" I asked, trying to make my sleepy eyes to focus.

 "No, I'm sorry. I...I just like to look at you." 

I snorted a nervous little laugh and held back a smile. 

"What?" he said, not hiding his own smile. "You're really beautiful," he murmured. 

Nobody had ever told me that before, except my mom and of course that doesn't really count. Sometimes I let myself live in a fantasy land and think we would live happily ever after. Then again at times like this, it was hard to believe this perfect man could ever possibly be interested in me. I know I have a lot of faults within me and tons of baggage.

 I didn't know what to say, so I just looked down at my hands.

 "I dunno if you think so, but you should," he said. He shifted so that he was hovering over me, and I was sort of forced to look up at him. "Everything about you...the first time I saw you, I thought you looked like an angel."

 He curved his palm and started stroking my wacky morning hair away from my face. Considering what I looked like at the hospital, that was really saying a lot. I smiled as it dawned on me, that was the last time Randy would ever put me in the hospital. I didn't try to hold back the happy tears. 

 "Thanks. Thanks for inviting us to live here. I hope you know...how grateful I am." 

"And I hope you know how grateful I am that you came. You are what had been missing from my life. I am loving having you here, and Daisy too." 

"Were you lonely?" I wondered. 

 "Sometimes," he whispered. 

"So was I," I admitted. 

His face was so close to mine now, that I could feel his warm breath. "You don't have to feel that way anymore." 

I started to tremble as he slowly moved even closer. He paused and parted his lips. I did the same. I wanted to close my eyes, but I didn't want to miss this. We looked into each other's eyes until the very last second, we both closed them just as his lips pressed against mine. He gave me short, gentle kisses, just barely parting from me in between them. You hear about seeing fireworks and stuff like that, I actually felt like that all over my body. Even my scalp was tingling. I put my hand behind his head and held him to me. 

 The short kisses became longer until they blended together. I opened my mouth, desperate to know what he tasted like. His breath rushed into my mouth. Delicious. I had forgotten what it felt like to be kissed, really kissed. After he pulled away, he bent his head down again to give me one more soft kiss, just for good measure. I had never been so turned on in my life. We were both breathless. 

"Was that okay?" he asked. 

"Oh, my gosh. Of course, it was! You should make a habit of starting every morning just like this," I said, craning my neck to give him a peck. 

"That sounds fantastic," he said with a grin. 

He rolled to his back and held me to his chest. I was so comfortable I could have gone right back to sleep if Daisy didn't have to go to school today. 

"There's something else I wanted to tell you last night. I kind of chickened out though," he confessed. 

"What's that?" I asked, propping myself on his chest to look at him. 

"About the wolves, and the vampires. You've met some before, you just didn't know it."

 I raised my eyebrows. "Seriously?"