14

Mollie 

I was going to show him, and I was going to show him real good. I'd make him sorry, and he sure will be once I'm gone.

I didn't let that asshole see me cry though, not one tear, but I was sure letting them loose now.

What the Hell is wrong with him, can't he see we are perfect for each other? If he's that thick, then I can't let it be my problem. He can't look at me the way he does, tell me how good I smell and then just reject me like that. I don't need to stay here and be lead on, I don't have to put up with it, and I won't.

I zipped my full backpack and decided it was time to dry my eyes and get on with it already. I pulled out my phone to get on the Internet and held back tears when I thought of how happy I'd been when he called me earlier. A lot had changed in just a couple of hours.

I pulled up the bus company's site and tried to find out how much it would cost me to get from here, to Montana. All of us had emergency credit cards that Mom gave us when we started school.

"You'll probably never need to use these. Getting a snack on the way home from school is not an emergency," Mom had said.

I considered this an emergency.

I had more than enough for a one-way ticket, I'd have extra for food along the way, too. Maybe I could hunt on the way, a deer would last me longer than a sandwich.

I wondered if there was anybody who would give me a ride to the bus station. My brother and my aunts were out for sure, they'd never do it. For half a second, my whacked out brain actually thought that Seth would take me. I shook the thought away as quickly as I could. It had been automatic, he'd always been there for whatever I needed. A ride, a stick of gum, anything. Once, I texted him from school and told him how annoyed I was that the vending machine was out of my favorite flavored water. So what does he do? Since he just happened to be "in the neighborhood" of the school right before lunch, he brought me one. He tried to act like it wasn't a big deal, but it sorta was.

With my favorite chauffeur no longer on the job, I'd have to get to my bus on foot. I could do it, but it wouldn't be fun. I looked at a map and quickly memorized the route I'd take to the bus station. I figured out the places I could cut through the woods, I'd take the most zig zaggy way I could. I knew as soon as somebody noticed I was gone, they'd be out looking for me, and I didn't want to be found.

I knew when I got to Montana, I'd be welcomed with open arms. I'd call on the way, just to be polite, but I knew Aunt Alice would have already seen coming. I was very confident that I'd reach my destination. If she'd wanted to stop me, she'd have already called Mom and busted me.

After punching in my credit card number, I hesitated as my finger hovered over the little red button that would confirm my purchase. I thought of Xandra. She would understand, she knew how I felt about Seth. If I couldn't count on him anymore, at least I had Xandra. I wished she were home so I could at least tell her goodbye.

I wasn't sure how long I'd be gone. I'd stay until I could look at Seth without wanting to scream or cry. It would probably be a while.

I thought of Mom, downstairs, having no clue what I was about to do. She'd probably cry...a lot. I felt bad, but she had no idea what this was like, she'd always had Dad.

Sometimes, not very often, I dared to hope that maybe I was Seth's imprint. It seemed possible, he was always around. Then again, he was lifelong friends with Dad. He moved when we did, but that was only because he couldn't stand living with his mother. My grandparents were the type of kind people who would take somebody in when they didn't have anywhere else to go. I figured he'd come back to La Push when we did because he'd missed it here. We all had.