34

Jacob 

"Do you think you'll feel like an animal at the zoo?" Ness teased as I was working on inhaling a sleeve of buttery crackers. 

"It's not like Seth and I will be in a cage with a ton of people staring at us, it's just Amy and A.J., you goof."

 Tonight, after Daisy was in bed, Anthony had agreed to take Amy wolf watching. She wouldn't have any idea that it was Seth and me. He was presently upstairs, probably pawing my baby girl, which I tried to be in denial about. When he thought about random nature scenes like babbling brooks and the Grand Canyon, I knew exactly why, but ya had to appreciate the effort I guess. Embry has had quite a few slip-ups, unfortunately.

  So Amy would find out a little more of the truth. I'd had to tell Anthony the unfortunate truth of why Amy finally left her piece of crap boyfriend. He would have been better off not knowing, but I knew he'd find out sooner or later. It would be better if Amy wasn't the one to tell him. She didn't need to see him totally lose his mind, which was exactly what he did. I showed him when we were phased instead of telling him so that he would see we couldn't have prevented Randy from hurting Daisy. If he'd had his wits about him, he would have known that. We'd have done anything to keep that from happening, but he was so blinded by rage. He came to his senses later, but at first he did blame us for not doing anything.

 He ran hard and fast in a wide circle. He went over and over what I'd shown him, and tried to think of a way it could have been stopped. When he couldn't figure out one, he started to picture all the ways it could have happened. The scenarios got increasingly more violent. When he imagined poor little Daisy being tossed around her room like a rag doll, I had to put an end to it. 

That's enough Anthony! He skidded to a stop.

 You wanna know something fucked up? he spat. He hasn't even asked to see Daisy. Not once. 

Good! Fuck him then!

 Fuck him!

 Eventually, I got him calm enough to go back to our old place, with Amy. Really though, it was theirs now. I knew after he went and got her, and spent that first night there that it was pretty much a done deal.

 "He's not coming back, is he," Ness had said to me the next morning. 

"Only to visit," I'd said. 

We hadn't really considered that things would never go back to normal after he imprinted, at least not the way they'd been before. This new version of normal was fine though, it just took a little getting used to. We'd much rather have him not living with us, but happy.

 "Let's get going, Seth!" I called as I climbed the stairs. 

 "Come in," Mollie said when I knocked on her door.

 I was relieved to see her and Seth sitting on the floor, an appropriate distance away from each other. Mollie had an open textbook in her lap. 

"Did you get homework, Mol?" I asked her. 

"Yeah," she answered with a scowl. 

 "It's the last week of school!" I pointed out. 

"That's what I said!" she replied. 

 "I'm the only one who got homework, so I'm the only one home. Now you guys are leaving, too!" 

"Where's your sister?" I asked.

"Embry took her to some music store and I think his mom wanted her to stay for dinner," she smirked to herself.

Great.