32

Anthony 

Every night Amy asked me if I would stay, and every night I said yes. I told her that I wasn't going anywhere unless she thought I should.

 She had looked down, blushing. "No, I don't want you to go anywhere." 

She had let Daisy stay home from pre-school for those first couple of days, but we had started to develop a routine. In the mornings I drove them to the school and watched the parking lot like a hawk as she walked Daisy inside. While she was in school if it was nice outside Amy and I would usually sit in the lounge chairs in the back yard, enjoy the spring sun and get to know each other some more. 

 The more I knew about her, the deeper in love I fell. After we picked Daisy up, I'd usually spend at least some of the afternoon on the phone while those two played. There was still always a pack member outside, but that was fewer people than usual who knew immediately what was going on, and everyone wanted to. Amy would cook dinner. I told her that I could do it, but she said that when she got to choose the meal, she liked to cook. 

 Daisy usually showed up to the table partially in costume, she really loved that dress-up box. If it wasn't the fairy wings, it was a crown or a tutu. Once Daisy was in bed we would sit on the couch together and watch movies, mostly comedies. She loved to laugh, and I loved to hear it. When she got tired she'd put her head on my shoulder, and I'd put my arm around her, so it seemed like we were more than friends but I wasn't quite sure.

 She would fall asleep on me, and even though sleeping sitting up on the couch usually would not have been comfortable, you couldn't have pried me off that thing with a crowbar. It really put me at ease to know she was as safe as she could possibly be while I was sleeping. Eventually, I had to go pick up some of my stuff. I had been wearing my dad's old clothes. When I left to get Amy and Daisy, I sure didn't think I'd be staying for the next week and a half. Amy had been wearing some of my mom's clothes, in addition to what she's brought along. She hated the idea of letting me buy her new clothes.  Mom had a lot of different sizes because of the pregnancies, so Amy had been able to find some things she liked that looked really nice on her. That worked, for now. 

Taking her with me to get some of my things would be a good chance for her to meet Asa and Xandra. There were literally dozens of people who were clamoring to meet our new family members, but they would have to wait until Amy was ready. She'd mentioned to me more than once how she doesn't like crowds. It seemed best if she met new people a few at a time. I knew she'd be the center of attention at any gathering, and she wouldn't enjoy that. My immediate family alone might feel like a crowd to her! I was most excited for her to meet Mom and Dad.

 I'd already started telling her some of the Quileute "legends." I was looking forward to being able to tell her the entire truth so that she could be a genuine part of my life. It took a little convincing to get her to come with me. If she really wanted to stay behind I wouldn't have made her go, so I was glad she agreed. She had suggested that while we were out, maybe we could pick up her car and the rest of her stuff as well. So that she wouldn't hear, I started texting to see who was around. I wanted a couple of wolves at the house in case things got bad, and one outside of where Randy worked to try to avoid it coming to that. Amy said he should be at work until the early evening, but if he should head towards home, I'd get her out of there.

 I couldn't put my hands on Randy unless there was an immediate danger. I literally couldn't since Dad hadn't said it as my dad, he'd said it as my alpha. I tried to understand, but I was pissed because if it was what Amy wanted, I'd really like to see his head on a stake in the middle of the rez. She hadn't talked to him on the phone, I would have heard her, but I knew he'd been sending her text messages. I could tell by her reactions. I could have grabbed her phone when she wasn't looking and find out what Randy was saying to her, but that was something he would have done. I had to trust that if he had made any threats, she'd tell me like I'd asked her to. I wanted to throw her phone in the woods where she'd never find it, and just get her a new one. I didn't want him to be able to hurt her anymore, and I could see that he still was.