38

Swan 

"I was cuter, right?" I said to Mom. 

We were in lawn chairs in the backyard, watching Daisy swim with Anthony and Amy. 

"You are both very adorable in different ways," she insisted. 

"Eh, that's such a mom answer." 

 I was just messing with her anyway, and she knew that. Today was the first day I'd actually seen Amy go in the water. She looked beautiful in her simple red one-piece that showed off her new figure. Anthony living with Amy made me wonder, when are we old enough to go out on our own? I had asked Mollie about it. 

 "How come you and Seth don't just move in together? Why worry about school? Anthony's not," I said. 

"He is going to go back next year. He promised Asa, it's his first year, so he'll go."

 I wasn't so sure about that myself. I knew Xandra wasn't either, and she'd been in his head. 

"With those two, it just sorta happened. She needed a place to live, he gave her one, and just never left. He couldn't, and I get it. Mom wasn't about to try and get him to come home. Which is how I know nobody will try to tell me I can't move out," she reasoned. 

Meaning Mom and Dad. 

"So then live together, and finish school." 

"We are going to, he's got some money, and so do I. We just wanted to wait until everything calmed down. Don't say anything yet though. I don't want anybody to get upset about it until it's all for sure." Mollie sighed. "But we've looked at a couple of apartments, and a cute little house we liked a lot." 

Since Mollie and Xandra pretty much did the same thing all the time, I wondered when her and Embry would take that next step. I knew it would be pretty soon. I had little dreams about it but nothing too much in detail.

"Where at? The rez?" 

"Nah. It's a bit farther away from school, but it had such a big yard," she replied. "It was private, too." 

"Ah, yes. So you guys won't have to go 'camping' like every weekend anymore. You can do the dance with no pants all you want, and have a bunch of sticky, smelly kids running around that yard." 

"That's the idea!" she said brightly.

 That was what she wanted. Having Mollie as a mother would probably be an adventure. I wanted to have adventures, but not in Forks, that was for sure. The list of places in the world I wanted to see grew all the time. Like Japan, Xandra said she'd go there with me. Italy, India, Barbados, lots of islands. 

 For now, adventure meant ballet class. Some of the class was my age, I'd say everybody in there was probably under thirty years old. There were some good looking guys in there. They were human, and some of the best looking ones were gay, but it was lovely to watch them dance and think about making out with them on the drive home. I was excited for a special workshop that was being held on Russian ballet. It was every Saturday for a month, and it was an all-day thing. We were going to have guest teachers. Rumor had it, they were actually from Russia. I got a brand new outfit for the occasion. I spent so much time getting ready, I'd have looked a lot better if I'd shown up on time. I drove way too fast to get there. Once I finally had, I stopped short right outside the building. 

What is that smell? I know that smell. When I entered the lobby, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I knew for sure what it was. There was another vampire here.

I didn't even know what to do. I acted as natural as I could as I walked into the studio. My eyes quickly scanned the room and focused on the two new people. They both looked like vampires. Both the man and the woman had that supernatural beauty, and now that I was in the room with them, the smell was overwhelming. I couldn't tell if they were siblings or a couple that looked alike in that vampire sort of way that my grandparents did. They both had dark features, and eyes that didn't look quite right. They looked a little too...red. They were obviously fine with humans, but would they see me as a threat? Vampires are so territorial. The man was so hauntingly beautiful though. I knew he could hear my heart pounding out of my chest and I hoped that it sounded more like the fear that I sure did have.