23

Renesmee 

I wanted to be the one to tell him. Jacob didn't think I should, but I think there are times when a boy needs his mother. Even a very, very tall adult. Rachel had agreed to do a little digging for us. We wanted to know how bad things really were. She was going to ask around, and plug Amy's name into the computer programs at the hospital to see what she could find. It was a risk, because of all the strict privacy laws to protect patients. If she got busted, she was planning to claim concern for Amy and worry that something fishy was going on, both of which were completely true. It wasn't so much the finding out of information that could get Rachel into a lot of trouble, it was the telling people part. Jake promised that if anything happened, he'd buy her a house on her own private island paradise where we'd support her, Paul and the kids for the rest of their lives. 

"That sounds nice and all, but I don't know if I could live without being able to order a ham and pineapple pizza once in a while!" she had said.

 I was so overwhelmed. I knew Anthony must be feeling ten times what I was. I was thrilled for him, he'd found his soul mate, but I was also worried because this was not going to be easy. Jake squeezed my hand as we watched Rachel drag Anthony away from the hospital's back entrance. 

"Just a few more minutes, I promise," I could hear her telling him. 

"Mom! Dad! Are you here to meet Amy?" he asked, running up to us. 

 Rachel dropped him off to us at the edge of the woods behind the building and turned right around to hurry back to work.

"Not yet," I told him. Anthony sure did have stars in his eyes.

 "She's great," he beamed.

 "I'm glad," I said, reaching up to put my hand on his shoulder. "I really am. I'm so excited to meet her, but not just yet. Dad and I want to talk to you first."

 "I'm ready. I've been getting ready my whole life by being around you guys!" he said happily. 

His optimism seemed so naive, considering his lack of knowledge so far in this, and it was about to be crushed. I can't do it, I told Jake through my gift. 

"It's okay, I got it," he whispered to me. We shifted around so that I was standing partially behind him. "There are some things you've got to understand first, buddy. You cannot phase tonight," Jake said. 

Anthony cocked his head. "Why would I?"

 "Phasing will not do anything to help Amy, it'll just make things worse. You want to help her, right?" I said.

 "Of course I do, with anything she needs!" he said eagerly.

 "That's one thing she needs, is for you to stay human around her for the time being," Jake said. 

Anthony was starting to look suspicious. "What's wrong? She's gonna be okay, isn't she?" Anthony asked, panic creeping into his voice. "Is she more injured than she looks?" 

"That's not what I'm saying, just listen," Jake told him. "You know she has a boyfriend, right?" 

"Yeah, but that doesn't matter now," he said, obviously unconcerned. 

"It does a little, do you know she lives with him?" I said, peeking around Jake's bicep. 

 I didn't think I needed to be standing where I was. Anthony would never hurt me, but I stayed where I was just to appease Jake. 

"That's okay, she can stay with us, right?" Anthony said.

 "Of course she can, if that's what she'd like to do, but you may want to take things a little slower. She's human, this will be a lot for her to take in," I said.