25

Seth

 As we ran, Xandra was thinking about Rachel's phone call to the house, the night Amy was still in the hospital. It went through her head a lot. Xandra was sitting in the hallway at the time, so in her memory, I saw her staring at the wall and listening to the whole conversation. First things first, Rachel gave Jake and Nessie Amy's address. 

"Put me on speaker," Rachel said after that. "I know you can both hear me, but I can't hear both of you." 

"It's on," Nessie told her. "What else did you find out?" 

"Well, she's an Aquarius which is interesting because-"

 Jake cut her off. "Rachel! No, it isn't. Get to the point," he urged her. 

"How bad is it?" Nessie said, a little more gently. 

"Okay, okay. It's pretty bad. I couldn't write anything down so that I wouldn't get busted, I just kinda scanned her records. The program I was in goes back five years. You can see exactly when it started, it was around four years ago. That first year, there was nothing. Then, boom! She's had a broken jaw, that's pretty common. A lot of facial contusions, and a couple of neck contusions too." 

"Did you just say neck contusions? He chokes her?" Nessie said. 

"It seems that way," Rachel answered. 

"Holy crap," Jake muttered. 

"She's had so many concussions, and that's a big deal. That's the thing that could really cause some lasting damage to her. A strange one that stuck out was three broken metatarsals at once." 

\"What the Hell are those?" Jake asked. 

"The bones on the tops of your feet," Rachel answered. 

"Oh. Sometimes I forget that you actually know a lot," Jake said.

"What can I say? I'm a handy gal to keep around."

 I think being at Amy's was hardest on Xandra. Being a woman, and also being Anthony's sister. 

I'll be just fine, she assured me. If we do have to bust in there, I'd looooooove to be the one to do it. Please let him try that shit while I'm there! The basic instructions were, if he is hurting her, stop him. 

 I'll feed him to you, babe, Embry said in agreement.

We hadn't been told to kill him, but we hadn't been told not to either. That was a fact that a few of us hadn't missed. Randy hadn't laid a hand on her since we'd been watching, but he didn't need to in order to terrorize her. We watched as he called Amy every name in the book. She had to do what he said when he said it. Sometimes, it seemed like she was supposed to just know what he wanted, without him even telling her. We'd gotten a pretty good idea of their routine. 

Randy worked during the day but seemed to have a random schedule when it came to his days off. Daisy went to pre-school in the mornings. Amy drove her, except for when Randy wasn't working. We weren't really sure why he bothered at first. On the fourth day, that kinda threw us off. One of us followed along the road as close as we could, the same as we did for Amy. We wanted Daisy to be safe, too. Once they got there, we figured out why he'd been so eager to be the one to take her. He really enjoyed chatting with one of the very attractive teachers, he enjoyed it a little too much. It was no surprise there, that he had the potential to be a cheater if he wasn't already. There was one more weird thing he did that we had a little more trouble figuring out.

 Every day when he got home from work, or when Amy came back from the store, which seemed to be the only place she was allowed to go besides the school, he'd open the door to her car, and stick his head in. It looked like he was checking the mileage. Nessie was the one who suggested he was probably making sure she'd gone where she said she had said, and nowhere else. Amy was allowed to go on the internet and check her e-mail once a day, with him looking over her shoulder the whole time. She didn't get many, but she had to answer to him for each of them. When she got one from an old friend he didn't know, he made her delete it, then block the person. She got one that was an advertisement for some celebrity's new fragrance, that pissed him off pretty good. He was positive she must have gotten it because she'd been buying perfume online. He demanded to know who it was that she needed to smell nice for. Apparently, she wasn't allowed to use the credit card, not for shopping online, and not for anything besides groceries.