21

Swan

 "Where the Hell are you, and why aren't you picking up?!" I shouted into my phone before angrily shoving it in my pocket. 

Today had started awesome but was swiftly going completely downhill. Nate had dropped me off at the theater this morning for my first audition. The rehearsals I've been too really was just to prep everybody auditioning which is actually cool now that I think about it. Mom had kept telling me not to be nervous, but I really wasn't. I knew I could sing. I belted out a number from a little show called Les Misérables, shook the rafters with it and quite possibly guaranteed myself whatever role I wanted. I knew I could act, too. I did it every day. Sometimes at school, I did it so well, that I had to spend the whole way home reminding myself who I really was.

 I should have just accepted a ride from Tara when she offered me one, but she was long gone. Since she was the only person I knew here, it would have been smart. But no, instead I stood under my umbrella, watching everyone else stream past me. When there were only three cars left in the parking lot, I started to wonder who they belonged to. One must have been Josie's, the director. I had to figure the others belonged to the people who'd sat with her behind the long table during the auditions. Shannon, the vocal director, and David, the producer. I hadn't talked to Shannon, but David seemed very sweet. He was also as gay as Paris in June, and I'd decided I liked him already. It's nice to have someone be so welcoming when you are new. He'd been the one at the door greeting everyone, and handing out the audition forms. I wondered what they were doing in there. I was disappointed in myself that I hadn't even realized what a fantastic opportunity for eavesdropping this could be. I'd been too busy listening for Nate's old pick up truck. When I was tuned in, I could hear a sigh from Josie.

 "Not enough men auditioned, again. I've never done Jesus Christ Superstar with so few! A few of the apostles will just have to be female," Josie said. 

"Sounds good to me. Who do you have in mind?" David asked.

 I listened to their casting session a little more, but not knowing any of the names I heard, I got bored pretty quickly. Nate had five more minutes until I gave up. I considered my other options. Running home was a last resort. If I had done that, I'd be home by now, but it was too gross-out. I couldn't call my parents. They weren't huge Nate fans, and I didn't want to make it worse. Anthony was a maybe, my aunts would come get me, but then they'd tell Mom.

Finally, finally, I heard the familiar rumble coming down the road. I glared in that direction even before I could see him, and kept doing so when he came to a screeching halt next to me. 

 "Get in!" he shouted, smiling like everything was fine. Trust me, you want to give me another minute to get my anger under control first. Trust me. "Get in and get warmed up, baby!" I gritted my teeth, and climbed in. "So, how did it go?" he asked wrapping his arm around my waist. I stayed stiff as a board as I looked at him, incredulous. 

"How did it go?!" I said. 

"What, didn't you get a part?"

 "First of all, that's not how it works. They don't just look at you and decide right away. Second, where have you been?!" I demanded. 

"First of all," he mocked me, "you are late, like eight times out of ten."

 "Not for important stuff, I've never made you wait in the rain for me!"

 "So, the soccer banquet doesn't fall into your category of important stuff?" I was so damn sick of hearing about that, I could have thrown up. "All the other girls were there helping set up, but not you. Swan is far too important to set up tables and chairs!" he said bitterly.