6

Renesmee

 "What the Hell?"

My ears perked up. That was a strange thing to hear Swan muttering from the bathroom. Usually, everything goes just how you expected in there, you know? No surprises.

Next, I heard a lot of opening and closing of cabinets and drawers. A lot. Enough that I felt compelled to stop what I was doing, and go knock on the door.

"Swan? What are you looking for?" I asked.

"Hang on a second!" she said. I stood at the door for a minute, until I heard her unlock it. Just her face peeked out through the crack.

"Um, I'm having an issue," she whispered.

"Okay. What's the matter?"

"I...um...I'm sort of...bleeding?" she said.

"Where?" I asked foolishly.

"There," she said meaningfully.

"Oh! Oh, okay. Oh, crap," I said. Somehow, I'd never had this problem. Obviously I did ovulate, and quite well, but I'd never had a period. Who knows why. Some of my inner workings are a mystery to even me. I figured my girls might not ever get a "monthly visitor" either. But at least when they were being home-schooled by Nanna, she'd taught them basic health class stuff, things that they all knew may, or may not apply to them. Apparently this one did.

"Honey, I don't have anything for that," I said.

"I know! I looked!" she said, exasperated. "Don't tell anybody," she begged.

"I won't," I promised her. "Why don't I call your aunts, they bring something over for you. Do you think you can hang in there until then?"

"I guess," she said. "Don't tell Dad."

"Trust me, he probably doesn't want to know."

"And I don't wanna hear any junk about the joys of becoming a woman," she added, closing the door on me and hiding her scowl.

Jake did poke his head in as I was sitting on our bed calling his sisters.

"Hey, pretty lady. What's going on?" 

"Girl stuff. Super secret. Can't talk," I said quickly.

He held up his hands, palms out. "No further questions!" He headed back outside, to whatever noisy thing he and A.J. were doing with Embry out there.

I whispered to them that Swan needed some "female supplies."

"Ooooooh," she said, knowingly. "I'm about to go drop off Grace to play at Emily's. I can swing by on the way. What kind does Swan want?"

"Um..."

"Pads? Tampons?"

"I didn't ask her, I have no idea."

"Pads will probably be good since it's her first period," Rebecca added thoughtfully.

"I'll bring both," she said.

Swan stayed upstairs until Rachel arrived.

"She's in her room," I told her. "Will you make sure...that she knows how to do it and everything?"

"I'll give her a little crash course," she assured me and went to hand deliver the goods.

I knew nothing about it on a personal level, so I left it to Rachel. I heard them up there talking about wings and strings.

When Rachel came back downstairs, she patted me on the shoulder and whispered, "She's all set. I'll see you soon."

I decided it was best to just leave it alone, and go about our day. I didn't want her to be embarrassed.