28

Renesmee

 If I'd wanted to mope around all the time, I think Jake would have let me, but I wanted to try and keep things at least a little normal. Anthony wouldn't have noticed either way, but I had four other kids who at times were having trouble dealing with all these changes, and I wanted to make it easier for them. I didn't know how much A.J. was sleeping, but I knew that his best chance for it was when he knew Amy, and Randy, were sleeping and she was safe. When that happened, I slept better. Then Jake slept better, too. It was a strange chain reaction. Keeping the pack fed whenever they were here kept me busy and occupied, so did the scheduling of guard duty at Amy's. 

 Leah coming back had kind of thrown off the groups, so instead of officially going into the rotation, Leah just filled in for whoever asked her to take over for them. Jake said that Leah couldn't just stay in Vegas when something like this was going on. Being in Vegas for as long as she has been as given her a perspective on a lot of things in life. She made amends with Sue because she and Seth are the only family she has and she knew that her mother wasn't getting any younger, that's who she and Patrick were staying with.

Xandra seemed a little happier now that there was another woman in the pack and the two bonded a little. Leah also accepted Mollie with open arms and it was nice to see the relief that washed over Seth's face.  Mollie and Seth were closer than ever. That was just fine, as long as I didn't have to hear it, see it, or know about it. That was why I had no problem letting them go "camping" as Jake had called it, using the little air quotes when he said it. 

"Mollie did take a tent," I pointed out while they were gone. 

"Yeah, and the air mattress, too. If they break it, they bought it," he had said. 

"Maybe they'll hike, go on nature walks or something."

 He raised an eyebrow at me. "Sure, sure. Just like we used to do," he said. 

"At least they are bringing a tent," I teased. "Woulda been nice if you had thought of that!"

"Hey! We were young, in love, and on a budget. You liked it," he insisted with a grin.

 I had to admit, I sure did. It would have been unrealistic, and unfair to expect them to wait until marriage, when we couldn't do it ourselves. I have a lot of respect for people who choose that, in another situation I might have gone down that path myself, but for imprints that just doesn't work. Imprints or not, I decided I'd rather go on pretending that none of my kids will ever do that and that any grandchildren I have were delivered by the stork!

 Back in reality, I wondered if Amy and Anthony would ever be able to have a child. My kids had less vampire in them than I did, so it made sense to think their kids would have even less. It varied between all of them, but Anthony was right in the middle. If I was half, did that mean Anthony was 1/4th and his child would be 1/8th? Could Amy's body even handle that? I had to assume Amy would want to be changed someday, be a vampire and live forever like Anthony. I really can't see any imprint turning that offer down after experiencing that kind of love.

 My mother had told me once that Grandpa Carlisle had a theory about her. He had wondered if because she had chosen to be changed, and prepared herself for it, she was able to have much greater control over herself than the average newborn vampire did. I hoped that he was right, for Amy and Anthony's sake when the time came. What about Amy's daughter? I supposed that she'd have a big decision to make when she reached adulthood. There were so many variables, sometimes it drove me up the wall thinking about all of them.

 "Stop it," Jake said, kissing my temple in bed one morning. I hadn't realized I was using my gift, or that he was awake behind me. 

"I can't help it," I said. "Try and let him see her soon," I said.