What If?

We're back to Harry's perspective after quite a while - yay! This is where you are during this chapter, in case you were wondering (that's the edge of the Jolly Roger not a cliff lol):

Harry's POV

She doesn't know. She doesn't know what I screamed the night of the clock tower when she wasn't around. She doesn't know that it's harder on me - too late for me. I'm the one who's fallen in love. The one who fell too deeply in love and can't get out.

Doesn't she know I did this for her? To protect her from me. We couldn't be together, and be normal. It's not possible. Plus, I bet she doesn't even like me that way. Why did I assume she did?

I kicked down the side table in my room. This is all so frustrating. I've never had these feelings before. And I wish I never did.

I sat on my bed and buried my face in my hands. I let myself imagine what it would have been like if I went with my gut - and never made the promise.

I leaned in for the kiss and felt her lips against mine. I didn't care if Uma or Gil was around, and I knew she didn't either. I pulled away.

"Do you trust me now?" She smiles and nods, her hair gleaming in the sunset - our hands still intertwined.

"You're cold," I tell her. "Are you nervous?"

"I was. But not anymore." She would realize the contrasting warmth in my hands. It would be the perfect fairytale.

A pirate. A princess. Disapproving friends. The princess gets kidnapped. The pirate rescues her. They fall in love. They don't care about what others will think. They don't care about the consequences. They only care about each other. They don't get hurt. That's all that mattered.

I heard a banging at my door and snapped out of my daydream. I rubbed my eyes to stop the tears. It was Uma.

"Get a hold of yourself, Harry, this is just pathetic." She sat down on my bed and motioned for me to sit next to her. "So? What happened?"

"Didn't (y/n) tell you?"

"I'm giving her space - that's what she needs. You on the other hand-"

"I ended it."

"Harry - ended what?"

"Any relationship we might have had. It wouldn't be safe - it would burden both of us."

"Seriously? You had to do that today of all days? When she'd just been kidnapped?"

"Better now than later. Before either of us got invested."

She chuckled. "It seems like both of you are pretty invested."

"What do you mean?"

"You're both sitting around and sulking - sobbing should I say. Tell me again why you said whatever you said? And tell me the real reason. Not some nonsense about protecting her."