Bookstore and Lorelai

Edited

Jo's POV

When I get outside, Jess is already out of sight. I cross the street and spot a bookstore. Oo, maybe it won't be awful here.

I go in and start scanning. I looked for over an hour. I grab a few books for me and a couple for Jess, then go up to pay.

"This all for ya?" the guy at the register asks.

"Um, yes," I say, setting all my books down.

"Quite to pick you got here. Is this your first time in Stars Hollow?" he asks.

I think for a second. How much should I tell this guy? I'll probably be here pretty often.

"Um, technically no. I visited when I was younger. I might have even lived here for a while. I'm living with my Uncle Luke now."

"Oh, that's right. Words got around that Luke has taken in his sister's kids. I'm Andrew. I own the bookstore," Andrew says.

"I'm Jo. I'll probably be in here a lot, and you'll most likely spot my brother Jess in here at some point as well ."

"I'll keep an eye out. Have a good day," he says.

"You too. Thank you," I reply.

I take my books and leave. I decide to head back to the diner.

"Jo!" I hear a voice call from behind me.

I turn and see Jess walking up to me. I get his books from the bottom of the stack and hand them to him.

"Did you see the sights? Did you find an old lady to glare at?" I ask him.

"I found a place away from the crazy," he replies.

"Cool, you'll have to show me," I reply.

We walk into the diner, and I walk up to the counter, putting my books down. I look at Luke standing on the other side of the counter.

"I found books," I tell him, excitedly.

He smiles at me.

"Congrats. Hey, Jess. I'd like you guys to meet someone," Luke says, catching Jess before he can go hide upstairs.

I look to my left and see a lady sitting at the counter.

"Hey! Hi, I'm Lorelai. I just wanted to meet you before Luke had a chance to fill your heads with all kinds of little lies about me," she says.

"Hi," is all Jess says.

Still better than me, I just wave

"You know you two should meet my daughter. She's about you age. She can show you where all the good wilding goes on," Lorelai says.

Jess just nods and I smile at her.

"Ok, well, uh, it's nice to meet you both. I hope you like it here," she says.

Jess just nods again and I roll my eyes at him.

"So, class dismissed," she jokes.

I smile at her again, deciding to sit down here a bit. She seems nice enough.

"Uh, are you hungry? 'Cause I can-" Luke starts to ask, but Jess runs off before he can even finish.

"Can I get you something?" he asks me.

"Um, yes please," I mumble.

He reaches over and grabs me a menu.

"So, that's Jess," Lorelai says.

"Yep," Luke replies.

"And you must be Jo," she says, looking back at me.

"Um, yeah," I reply.

"You don't seem too chatty either," she says.

"Sorry," I mumble.

"Jo and Jess. How'd that work out?" Lorelai questions.

"Her name is Josephine," Luke comments.

I give her a confirming nod.

"And she has always been the quiet one, just so you know,"  he tells her.

"You ok?" he asks me.

Again, another nod.

"Hey, listen. I have a fabulous idea. What are you doing tomorrow night?" Lorelai asks Luke.

"Why?" he asks.

"Why don't you, Jess, and Jo come over for dinner?" she asks.

"Dinner?" Luke echos.

"Sookie will cook, Rory will be there, it'll be a little hey, welcome to Stars Hollow, and see everyone here's not straight out of a Fellini film, kind of evening," she says.

I nod in agreement, so he looks back at her.

"Okay. That would be nice, thanks," Luke says.

I give her a nod too.

"You're welcome," she replies.

"You won't bring up the beds?" Luke asks her.

"Oh no, I'll definitely bring up the beds," she replies.

He gives her a look.

"I'll eat later," I tell him.

"Alright, kid," Luke replies.

I take my books and go upstairs. Jess is sitting there smoking, so I take one of mine out and light it. Both of our watches beep.

He takes my meds bag out of the top of my duffel and tosses it to me. Because my anxiety is so bad they put me on medication for it. They also put me on antidepressants and sleep meds. 

I take my anxiety meds twice a day. Once in the morning with my antidepressants and once in the afternoon about the time I'd  normally get home from school.

I'm supposed to take it again in the evening, but I normally don't have to. If I do, I take it with my sleep medicine.

To top it off, I'm also anemic. That's mostly a result of not having the right foods to eat, and my smoking just makes it worse, so I take iron supplements in the morning as well.

For the rest of the evening Jess and I sit upstairs and read, and Jess blaring his music. Finally the diner closed. Luke came upstairs and we all went to bed.

Luke and I slept on the air mattresses, and Jess slept on the bed. In the middle of the night Luke's popped, so I gave him mine, and I slept on the couch, which is worse than the air mattress.

\\AN// -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Izzy