New Boos and Birthdays

Jo's POV 

The school year ended and Rory went to Washington. I never said anything about what I saw, so only Jess knows, and I know he's not going to talk about it.

Everything was pretty fine, until Jess started dating someone new. She's some blonde girl from school named Shane.

I don't like her. He knows I don't like her. I'm not against him dating someone, especially if it resolves what's going on between him and Rory.

But I don't like her. I don't know how to phrase it and not sound like an ass, myself. To top it off she's not very nice to me, and Jess doesn't seem to care about that either.

Other than that things have been pretty boring. I work in the diner and days I would normally have off I work at the inn with Lorelai to earn extra money.

Now that Rory isn't around she needs a little extra help. Any free time I normally try to spend with Lane.

The only excitement was Jess and I had our 18th birthday. It fell on a day we were both working in the diner. We thought Luke didn't know and we were completely fine with that.

He told us to take the truck and pick up some things for him in Woodbridge. We were sent mid-afternoon and didn't get back until a couple hours before closing.

When we got back the diner was closed. We put everything away in the storeroom and went up to the apartment.

Luke had made dinner, and made us a cake. The cake had white icing with black and red details. It said, Happy 18th Birthday Jess and Jo.

He put an 18 on each side. We lit them, he sang us happy birthday and we each made a wish. Luke took lots of pictures as we blew out our candles and opened our presents.

Jess and I each got a leather jacket, black combat boots, and a few books. Luke also got us some converse, mine red and Jess' all black.

It was a fun evening. Birthdays were often forgotten by Liz, or she wouldn't have money to do anything. We always made sure to get each other one thing.

We always wait until the times of our births to exchange gifts, so that's what we did tonight. Luke was already asleep. We sat on our beds and at 10:42 I handed Jess his present. I watch him open it as I eat more cake.

It was in a green bag. First he pulls out a couple books, then he pulls out a box. Inside is a dog tag necklace that says, It's a Twin Thing, You Wouldn't Understand, and on the back it had our birthday.

"Thanks, Jo," he says with a small smile.

He pulls the last thing from the bag and his smile drops. He looks up at me and glares.

"Really?" he asks.

I try to keep from smiling, but fail and end up laughing. It was a box of condoms.

"Hey, bro, I Just want to make sure you have protection. Don't want you putting any buns in Shane's oven anytime soon," I tell him, still laughing.

He smirks and throws the box at my head.

"Ow. Rude," I say.

He stares at his watch for a few minutes.

"10:50. Your turn," he says.

He reaches behind him and grabs a pink bag and hands it to me.

"Ew, pink?" I ask.

"I knew you'd love it," he smirks.

I take the box of condoms and throw it back at him. He quickly hides it away in our nightstand drawer. I open the bag and first find a new book, and then find a black jewelry box, similar to the one he got.

I open it and find a necklace.

"I guess we had similar ideas," he says, pulling out his keys to show me his keychain that matched the necklace.

"Aww, Jess. I love it. Thank you," I say looking up at him.

I climb onto his bed and hug him. We clean everything up and both crawl into bed. After a couple minutes I roll over to face Jess. I see him facing towards me with his eyes closed.

"Jess?" I whisper.

He doesn't answer me. He just lifts up his blanket. I smile, crawl out of bed and curl up next to him.

"Happy birthday, Jesse," I whisper.

"Happy birthday, Joey," he whispers back.

I turn over so my back is against his chest and he wraps his arm around my waist. We fall asleep the same way we did our last night in New York, and many other nights before that.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy