Date

Jo's POV 

It's Saturday morning and the day of my date. Like planned I work the breakfast rush. Dean comes in and sits at the counter, eating breakfast while he waits.

While I'm busy I see him talk to Luke. After another half hour things slow down and I tell Luke I'm heading out.

"You have fun," he tells me.

"I will," I reply.

I run up and get my crossbody purse. I have my wallet, keys, and cigarettes. I'm wearing jeans, a long sleeve, red shirt and my snow boots.

When I get downstairs I see Dean outside and Jess walking back in. They don't look like they are going to kill each other.

"What just happened?" I ask.

"Nothing. Have fun," Jess replies.

I pull on my black peacoat and walk out. I wave at Jess and Luke. Dean opens the door of his truck for me.

"Why are we taking your truck? I can see Stars Hollow Books from here," I say.

"I didn't say I was taking you to the bookstore here in town," he says with a smile.

I glance at the diner.

"I already talked to Luke," he says.

I smile at him and then get in the truck. After driving for a few minutes he starts talking.

"So tell me about yourself," he says.

"What do you want to know?" I ask

"I guess the basics. I never really got to know you," he replies.

"20 question?" I ask.

"Sure. We both answer. You first," he says.

"Favorite color?" I ask.

"Green," he replies.

"Red," I tell him.

I learned some things I didn't know. He plays basketball and hockey. He's from Chicago, and they moved here for his Dad's work. His parents are happily married, and Clara is his only sibling.

His birthday is March 18th. I always knew he was tall, but I now know he is 6'2, so he towers over my 5'3 self.

He's allergic to walnuts. Good to know, so I don't end up killing him. He loves Lord Of The Rings, and his favorite book is The Great Gatsby.

Dean's POV

We keep asking each other questions. She grew up in Manhattan with her mom and Jess. Her birthday is July 20th, and Jess is eight minutes older than her.

She's never met her dad and doesn't even know what he looks like. In her free time she mostly just reads. 

She likes Disney movies, and rock music, which are two things that sound like that shouldn't go together.

She dislikes most green foods, and loves chocolate. She, not surprisingly, is a cat over dog person which I wholeheartedly disagree with.

We don't reach 20 by the time we arrive in Hartford. I park outside of a bookstore and go around to open her door for her and offer a hand to help her out.

"Thank you," she says.

We go in, she starts looking and I follow her around.

"So, how many dates have you been on?" I ask her.

"None," she says,  not looking at me as she reaches for a book.

"None?" I ask.

She looks at me.

"None," she repeats.

"You never had a boyfriend before?" I ask.

"Well, I wouldn't say I've ever been in a real relationship. There have been guys I called my boyfriend, we've kissed, held hands, but they weren't the nicest people. We didn't hang out really," she says.

"If you hadn't noticed, Jess and I didn't hang out with the best crowd back in New York, and with all of Liz's boyfriends being my only example I wasn't really eager to date," she continues.

"Liz?" I question.

"Oh, um... my mother," she says

"Oh, right. So, um... did you ever do anything else... with anyone?" I ask her.

She stops what she's doing and looks up at me. She looks almost scared. She drops her head back down and starts fidgeting with her necklace.

"I don't want to talk about that right now," she mumbles.

"Ok, you don't have to. I'm sorry,'" I reply.

She looks up and gives me a small smile which I return. We look around for a couple of hours. She picks up several books and talks about everyone.

Some she just wants to tell me about, some she gets because she wants to read them, others she tries to convince me to get.

We leave and she has a stack of books. I try to pat because it's a date, but she argues, and we land on half and half.

After putting the books in the truck we walk around, mostly window shopping as we talk. I've never heard her talk this much.

I don't think I've ever heard her say more than a sentence at a time. She would mostly listen to conversations and throw in a comment or opinion in every so often.

Now she was talkative and animated. She moves her hands a lot when she talks, this is stopped a bit when I grab hold of her left hand.

She smiles down at them, but doesn't pull away. We come upon a small market and I stop us.

"You wanna stop and get a pop, or something?" I ask.

"A pop?" she questions.

"Sorry, in Chicago we call it pop," I tell her.

"Well, here we call it soda," she replies with a laugh.

I stiffen up and she catches it and frowns.

"What?" she asks.

"Oh, no, nothing. I'm sorry. That just made me remember something. It's nothing," I reply.

"Oh, alright. Let's go in," she says, lightly pulling me to the door.

How does she remind me more of Rory than Jess?

I honestly thought this was going to be easier because she would act like him and I'd hate her. Instead she acts like Rory and it's making my heart hurt.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy