Parties

Jo's POV 

A kid, Kyle, from schools is having a party and asked Lane's band to play. Being Lane's best friends Rory and I had to be there to see them.

This meant that Jess and Dean got dragged along as well. Dean actually enjoyed parties and had planned on going to begin with.

For Jess and I, if it weren't for Rory and Lane we'd be long gone. The party is boring and my social skills are somehow worse than even Jess'.

After the band's first set Dean goes off to talk to some friends. Jess goes upstairs to hide, and I let him be.

Rory and I meet Lane in the kitchen and partake in the cheap beer to keep me distracted. I don't plan on getting drunk, so as I nurse my second cup I wander to the backyard.

There are far fewer people. The lack of noise makes my stress headache subside a bit. After a couple of minutes Dean emerges from the back door.

"Hey," he says, walking up to me.

"Hey," I reply, with a small, somewhat, forced headache. 

"What are you doing out here?" he asks.

"I'm not the biggest fan of parties... or people," I reply.

"Then why did you come?" he asks.

"For Lane. I wanted to be here for her and the band. Plus you wanted to come," I tell him.

"Well, I'm sorry you're not enjoying yourself," he says, wrapping his arm around my waist and bending down to kiss me.

I pull away from him and smile. Genuinely this time.

"I'm enjoying myself now that I've run away out here, and it's even better now that you've joined me," I tell him.

He pulls me close and kisses me again.

"I'm glad," he replies.

We sit for a couple of minutes. Just sitting in the grass, curled up close to each other. He is sitting with his legs straight out in front of him.

 'm curled up to his side with my legs are draped over his. He gently takes my chin and starts kissing me. He pulls back and stares into my eyes.

"I love you," he says.

I just stare at him. I have no idea what to do. His eyebrows frown a bit.

"Are you going to say anything?" he asks.

"Um. You- I, huh. Um," I stutter out, not knowing what to say.

My brain had stopped working. He looks away from me. He looks mad. He's definitely mad.

"I can't believe I did this again," he says.

He moves my legs off of him and stands.

"No, Dean, wait. I'm sorry. It's just-" he turns to me and cuts me off.

"It's just what, Jo? You don't love me? Is that it?" he turns away from me.

He runs his hands through his hair and sighs.

"I can't believe I'm so stupid," he mumbles.

I reach out to put my hand on his shoulder.

"Dean it's not that I don't. It's just that I've never told anyone that," I tell him.

He looks back at me.

"Am I not good enough for you to say it?" he asks.

He's so mad, and I'm so worried.

"No, Bean. It's just-" he cuts me off again.

"You know what? I don't want to hear what you have to say. All of this was a waste of time," he says.

He walks towards that house. I think he's going to go in, but he stops a couple of feet in front of the door.

"I did all this work, and all this time thinking I could get Rory back. All of this so I could get close to her, and all I get is stuck with you, and you can't even tell me you love me," he yells.

His words hit deep, and tears well up in my eyes. I can feel everything inside me break. Everything we have falls apart in that moment.

I can see it register in his head what he just said and his face drops. Before he can say anything I quickly move past him into the house.

"Jo, wait!" he yells, following me.

I pass the kitchen. Rory comes out when she hears. She sees me crying and stops me, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Jo, are you okay?" she asks.

"Yes. No. I need to leave," I tell her.

"Jo, stop," Dean says.

"No!" I say, going to leave.

This is the time Jess decides to come down the stairs. Rory puts a bit of space between us by stopping Dean and trying to get him to tell her what's going on.

Jess rushes to me. Worry is plastered on his face.

"What happened?" he asks, his voice thick with concern.

"I want to leave," I state.

"Jo!" Dean says walking up.

Jess whips around to look at him.

"What did you do?" Jess asks him.

"Stay out of this," Dean snaps back.

I go to walk out again and Dean follows me. Jess stops him by grabbing him and punching him in the face.

They go at it. Pushes and punches. They tussle through a few rooms of the house before people are able to get them outside.

The whole time Rory and I are calling their names, yelling at them, telling them to stop. A few guys are able to get them separated just in time for the police to pull up.

Jess and Dean both leave. Before Rory and I can follow we hear Lane throwing up in the bushes.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy