Basket O' Fun

Jo's POV 

The town is having a basket auction for charity. Apparently it's one of Stars Hollow's many traditions. This is one that I don't totally hate.

It's not like girls are forced to do it. They do it to their own accord. I walk into the market. I see Dean.

"Hey," I greet.

"Hey. Oh, Rory's back there if you want to catch her," he tells me.

"Oh, cool. Thank you. I'll see you later at the action," I say.

I find Rory. She has a little basket with blue trim.

"Hey," I say.

"Hi, Jo," she replies.

"Hey, I know it's not weird for you because you have Dean, but is it weird that I'm actually thinking about doing a basket myself?" I ask her.

"No. Not at all. Mom and I have done this every year since we moved here," she says.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's fun. Go for it," she replies.

"Okay I think I might," I reply.

She helps me look for a basket. We managed to find one that was a similar shape to her's, but it's a little bigger than hers and had red trim instead of blue.

We agreed that it is fine that mine is bigger than hers seeing as I'm filling it with things that are actually edible instead of the gross leftovers form the fridge like her and Lorelai.

I also get all the ingredients I need before going back home and getting to work.

I decided to bake first so that I can have the stuff in the oven while I make the other food. I got sliced Italian bread, which I toasted to use to make sandwiches.

I had a few containers. One for the bread, one for meat, and one for cheese. I thought it was best I just bought everything and let them make their own sandwiches.

I had tortilla chips with both salsa and pico de gallo. I made a fruit salad, baby carrots, and baked brownies, and oatmeal raisin cookies.

I don't know where Luke and I both got our cooking skills from, but I know that gene skipped mom and Jess.

As I'm working Jess asks if he can borrow some money. I agree, not wanting to argue with him. 

--

I'm at the action. When I see Rory's come up and give her a thumbs up. Jess had come along with me. I hope he'll save me from having to have lunch with a stranger.

I was looking forward to it, but now I'm nervous. All that hope was crushed when I heard him bid against Dean on Rory's basket.

It gets to 90$ and I know for a fact that Jess does not have 90$. Wait, he does now. I look at him.

"Is this why you asked me for money?" I ask.

He just smirks.

"Sold, to the nice young hoodlum in the back," Taylor says.

He goes to get his basket and I go to Rory.

"Rory, I'm sorry. He asked for money and I didn't think this is what he'd use if for," I tell her.

"It's not your fault. I better go talk to Dean," she says.

"Do you want help?" Lorelai asks her.

"No, it's okay. I'm just, officially not a fan of unpredictability," Rory replies.

"Totally understand. Good luck," Lorelai says.

That leaves me and Lorelai. I see Rory and Dean arguing, making my stomach hurt. Lorelai's basket is up and three guys start going after it. 

She realizes they are the guy Patty set up for her. She runs to the diner. She comes back out with Luke. He bids 52.50 and wins.

"What? We're only supposed to go to 50," one of the guys says.

"I have a life," Luke says.

"52.50 going once!" Lorelai yells.

"Hey! That's my job. 52.50 going once, 52.50 going twice..." Taylor says.

"Oh, please, God," Lorelai says.

"Sold for 52.50!" Taylor says.

Next is my basket. Lorelai and Luke wait to see who gets mine.

"This is our next, and final basket which was a late entry by Ms. Josephine Mariano. Let's start the bidding at... 5 dollars," Taylor says.

Everyone is silent. No one makes a move to bid. Lorelai puts her arm around me. No one wants it.

"Come on people. It's a lovely basket. Who has 5$?" Taylor asks.

I look and anyone who would have possibly bid on my basket is now gone. So, correction. No one wants me. Lorelai takes her arm away and pulls out money from her pocket. She hands it to Luke.

"Five dollars," Luke says.

I don't look up. My eyes are fixed on the ground. Lorelai wraps her arm around me again, pulling me close. Just another example of Luke taking me because no one else wants me.

"Five dollars going once... five dollars going twice... sold again to Luke Danes. And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes the basket bidding. Victors, come claim our prizes and your dates. Let the lunching begin," Taylor says.

Luke has both mine and Lorelai's baskets, so I take mine.

"You rock," Lorelai tells him.

"Thank you. So what do we do now?" Luke asks

"I guess we eat," Lorelai replies.

"This?" he asks.

"Yeah," she says.

"I have to buy it, then I have to eat it?" he asks.

"Hey, the basket of botulism does come with my company," she tells him.

"You don't eat with your mouth open, do you?" he asks.

"Women don't eat at all. Just look at food and then jump on the treadmill," she replies.

"Alright, let's go," Luke replies.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy