Breaking The News & Break Plans

Jo's POV 

I rush to the diner after school, and Lane runs home. I help for a good 20 minutes until we see Rory's bus pull up. Lane and I meet Rory as she gets off the bus.

"Hi, can we go to your house to talk?" I ask her.

"Um, sure," she replies

We get to her house and let her get changed before we all sit on her bed.

"What did you want to talk about? You seem freaked out," she says.

"Ok. I was sitting at lunch and someone happened to come up and talk to me, and ask me on a date this weekend," I tell her.

"Oh, my god! That's amazing, Jo!" she says.

"Wait, that wasn't the bomb," Lane tells her.

"What do you mean?" Rory asks.

"Um, because it was, uh-" I drift off, not sure how to actually say it.

Luckily Lane  saves me.

"Dean asked her out," she blurts out.

I can see Rory visibly shrink when Lane says this.

"Dean?" she asks.

"Yeah," I reply.

She sits there for a second and we just watch her. After about half a minute she smiled.

"That's great," she says calmly.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah. I think you two work well together. You seem like a good match," she tells me.

"Oh... thank you," I reply.

"This might also resolve the tension between the boys. If Dean is taken and I'm taken, then maybe Jess will be nicer and they'll end up liking each other," she adds.

"You're right. This is really great," I reply.

I scoot up and give her a hug.

"Thank you."

"No problem," she replies.

Lane and I sit and tell her how he asked me. Rory gets as mushy as Lane.

--

I get back to the diner and see both Luke and Jess.

"Sorry I ran off. I had to take care of something," I tell them.

"What had you rushing out like that?" Luke asks.

"Um, Lane and I had to talk to Rory about something that happened at school," I reply.

"Do you know about this?" he asks Jess.

No, he skipped today.

"No, he wasn't there. It happened at lunch and he was in the library," I say, saving Jess.

"Ah, so what happened?" he asks, walking off to fill someone's coffee.

I wait for him to finish and take the pot from him.

"I should take this before I tell you, and you should both sit," I say looking at Jess.

They both sit at the counter. I walk behind it to put the coffee up and turn to look at them. I take a deep breath before resting my hands on the counter.

"So, I was at lunch and someone came up to me..." they just look up at me.

"They asked me to go out this weekend," I continue.

"Huh," Jess says.

"Really? That's great," Luke tells me.

"Who?" Jess asks.

I start to fidget.

"So here's the big park. It...was," I look up at them and end up locking eyes with Jess.

"It was Dean," I blurted.

"What?" Jess says, shooting up.

"Wait, what?" Luke is confused.

"You can't date him," Jess tells me.

"If I date him then he can't date Rory," I tell him.

"But Dean and Rory were together," Luke says.

"And I talked to her. That's where I went. She's cool with it. She's happy," I reply.

"Well, that's good," Luke gets up and pats my shoulder.

"I'm happy for you," he says before getting back to work.

I smile and then look back at Jess. He sighs.

"Fine," he says.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"I'm fine with it," he says.

"Really?" I asked, shocked.

"Yeah. It'll keep him away from Rory," he says.

"That's what you're worried about?" I ask.

"Yes," he states before going upstairs.

--

We got our report cards, and Jess tried to hide his from Luke, and not because it was bad. Jess did really well and was afraid that if Luke saw it he was going to make a big deal about it, which he did.

When Luke finally got a hold of it his face lit up. He congratulated Jess and even gave him a hug, that Jess hated, but as he pulled back I noticed Jess' small smile before he could whip it from his face.

That started our Christmas break off on a good note. Jess was just happy he didn't have to wake up as early and could see Rory more.

I already asked Lorelai if I could cover extra shifts at the inn again. I'm also looking forward to snow.

Jess was not the person who ever went out with the intention to play in the snow, but it would happen sometimes. Always started by one of us attacking the other with a snowball.

We'd throw snow at each other and push each other into the mounds of cold snow. Normally having to go home after because our clothes were soaked through.

We'd walk home shivering and any time we'd look at each other we'd start laughing.

I hope we do that this year.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy