Talks & Closets

Jo's POV 

Luke takes the Gilmores their food.

"Dead cow. Dead cow," he says, handing them each their burgers.

I keep working until Lane barges in.

"Hello, Stars Hollow! Are you ready to rock?" she asks.

"Let me guess. Band practice tonight?" Lorelai asks.

"Yes, we're going to learn our fourth song. That's practically a set," she says and steals Rory burger.

Lane talks band stuff as I work and Jess reads at the counter. She runs off to get to band practice and the Gilmores follow close behind.

"See ya, Luke," Lorelai says.

"See ya," he replies.

I head over to clear their table as they walk to the door.

"Turn sideways," Lorelai says.

Rory does and I stop next to her. Shane rushes past and goes straight to Jess, and they start sucking face again.

"That girl's a freak," Lorelai says.

"Don't I know it," Rory replies.

They leave and I start clearing their table. Luke comes out with plates.

"Make a hole," he tells Shane and Jess.

As soon as he passes they are immediately attached again.

--

Lorelai comes into the diner.

"Lucas! La Escuela!" she says.

"Hey," he says, coming from the storeroom.

"Hey. Did you lose track of time?" she asks.

"What? Why?" he asks.

"It's 4:00," she replies.

"I know," he says.

"We're supposed to be at the school, like, now," she tells him.

"I know," he replies again.

"But you're not ready," she says.

"What? Oh, right, right, sorry," he says taking his apron off.

"Okay, I'm ready," he tells her.

"Au contraire," she replies.

"What?" he asks.

"You are so not ready," she tells him.

"What are you talking about?" he asks.

"The gunge look is out," Lorelai says.

"For me, no, but for him, definitely," I tell her.

"Hey, I'm not dressing up for this," he says.

"You need something better than that," she replies.

"The whole point of this stupid class talk was for us to talk about our work and our success. This flannel shirt is my most successful outfit. I've closed many deals in this outfit. It's my power outfit," he tells her.

"Come on," she says pulling him away.

"Hey, hey, hey. Let go. Let go. Hey, you're pinching me!" he yells.

"Go!" she yells back.

She drags him off upstairs. A few minutes later I hear them coming down and Luke mentions something about the closet.

After they walk out I quietly head up the stairs. When I reach the top I hear Jess tell someone they don't have to go and I hear Shane reply that she has to get to work.

I quickly swing the door open and see them standing in the middle of the room.

"Huh, Lorelai was right," I say.

"Get lost, Jo," Jess demands.

"Don't worry about it, I've got to leave," Shane says, walking past me to the door.

"Bye, Shane. See you later," I smile and wave at her.

Once she is out the door I close it.

"Not like I could get rid of you if I wanted," I mumble rolling my eyes.

I turn back to Jess.

"Did you tell her what you got for your birthday?" I ask.

"Go away, Jo," he says sitting down and picking his book back up. 

"I'm just making sure you're making smart choices," I tell him.

"I don't need you watching out for me," he says.

I walk up and take the book from his hands.

"Hey!" he  yells. 

"No. Listen. I pretty much let you do whatever you want, but remember we made an agreement. We have rules," I say.

"I know," he replies.

"Well, do you remember what they are? If we run into trouble we call each other. When shit goes down we leave, and meet somewhere safe. No getting hammered, no drugs, and... No Babies!" I remind him.

"I know the rules. I'm not stupid. Nothing was happening, and nothing is going to happen," he says.

I fidget with my necklace and a second and then stick my hand out, sticking my pinky out to him.

"Promise?" I ask.

"Promise," he states, looping his pinky with mine.

I hand him his book. 

"I have to leave for practice. I was supposed to leave with Luke and Lorelai," I say.

I quickly change and head over to the high school. We warm up, run drills and practice for out first game next week.

We also got our uniforms. I was able to get the number I wanted. Lucky number 20. 

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy