Fishing Dates

Jo's POV 

We've been back at school a couple weeks now. I've been making sure Jess goes by hiding his keys until after school.

He can't complain to Luke because then he'll have to explain why he needs them. Because of this his grades are staying good, as well as his attendance.

I walk downstairs to hear Luke and Jess talking.

"She was totally coming on to you," Jess tells him.

"She was not," Luke replies.

"Who was?" I ask.

"Taylor's lawyer," Jess says.

"Oo! Was she pretty?" I ask.

"Couldn't you hear her panting when you were signing those things?" Jess asks.

"Didn't see it," Luke tries to defend himself, walking away.

"She laughed at your jokes. We both know there's gotta be some ulterior motive to the people that laugh at your jokes," Jess says.

"Okay. Whatever. Even if there was something, which I'm not saying there was, she's a suit. Not my type," Luke says.

"Yeah, especially since she's not a monk," Jess says.

"Oh, I don't go out that much? Is that what that's supposed to mean?" he asks.

"Take a look at a calendar. When was the last time you went on a date? Year? Two years ago?" Jess questions.

"Last month, wiseass. I went out with Joanna Cooper," Luke says.

"Who?" I ask.

"You gave her a ride home," Jess says.

"A ride home is the end of a date," Luke says.

"Only if you go on a date first," Jess and I say at the same time.

"I'm not gonna discuss this with you two," he says, trying to walk away again.

"Suit yourself. I have to go meet Rory anyhow. See I'm gonna go pick her up, spend a few hours actually being with her, then give her a ride home. That's called the end of a date," Jess says.

"Or I could stay open a few hours later which means you're here till ten. That's also called the end of a date," Luke says.

"Hopeless," Jess says, clapping Luke on the back.

"Bye, now," Luke says.

After Jess leaves I lean on the counter and look at Luke.

"Am I your favorite now?" I ask.

He looks me in the eyes.

"Josie Lu," is all he says.

"How dare you!" I yell.

He smirks.

"I hated it as a child, and I hate it now. Why did my mother ever think to call me that?" I ask.

"What? I think it's adorable," he replies.

I just shake my head and get back to working my tables.

--

Luke offers to help Lorelai learn to fish for a date she's going on. It is now the morning of her date. Rory and I are sitting at their kitchen table almost asleep.

I stayed the night and Lorelai ensured she'd wake up on time by setting Rory's alarm, causing us to wake up. The alarm scared us both awake causing us to sceam, waking her up.

"Could you please just make some coffee?" Lorelai asks from the other room.

"I'm not doing anything for you ever," Rory replies.

"You are an awful human," I tell her.

"Don't be mad," Lorelai says.

"You set my alarm for 5:15 am," Rory says.

"Luke doesn't even wake me up this early," I add.

"I know, and I did it for purely practical reasons," Lorelai says.

"Which are?" Rory asks.

"My alarm is just not as reliable as your screams," she says.

"You will pay," Rory tells her.

"Pay!" I yell into the table with my arms covering my head.

"That's fine," Lorelai says, patting both our heads.

"Now, coffee?" she asks us.

"I am writing this in my ledger of all the crummy things you've done over the years, and when I leave this house, mark my words, you will pay," Rory tells her.

The doorbell rings.

"Oh, great. It's 5:30 am, and I have no coffee in my system," Lorelai says before going to open the door.

She greets him and Rory and I go into the living room. They walk in and I wrap myself in my blanket, leaving only my face out and Rory put on her robe.

"This is Rory, and that's Jo," Lorelai says.

"Hi. I'm Alex," he replies.

"Nice to meet you. It would've been nicer in the daylight, but..." Rory says.

"Okay, let's get going. It's not like the fish are gonna wait for us all day. Right?" Lorelai jokes.

"I'll take that coffee now, if you- Thank you," she says, taking the bag from him.

She manages to make it to the door and Alex turns back to us.

"Your mom's never been fishing before, has she?" he asks Rory.

"Oh, no, she's a well seasoned fish killer," Rory tells him.

"Liar," I say as I sit on the couch.

"Uh huh. I made lunch reservations at the Shahaela Lodge and Spa afterwards. Think she'll like that?" he asks.

"She'll love that," Rory replies.

"Good. Go back to sleep," he tells us.

"Thank you!" I say using my blanket to cover my face as I sink further into the couch.

After they leave Rory lets herself fall over the back of the couch. I let out a quiet ow, as she accidently kicks me in the head before resting her leg on my lap. 

We both end up falling back asleep for a few more hours. When I return to the diner I hear from Jess that Luke actually asked the lawyer lady out. 

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy