Dinner and a Fight

-- Edited--

Jo's POV

When we arrive Luke knocks and Lorelai opens the door.

"Hey, perfect timing. Sookie's about to break her own record for the most food served outside the Roman Empire," she says.

"Sounds great," Luke says.

"Sure does," Jess says sarcastically.

I reach around Luke to smack him, which he glares at me for.

"So, come on in," Lorelai says.

Jess immediately rushes off and I stay in the corridor with Luke and Lorelai.

"Sorry we're a little late. We had a little misunderstanding about what time we were actually supposed to leave to come here," Luke tells her.

"And it wasn't the girl's fault," I add before wandering off as well.

We both look around the living room until Lorelai asks us to come into the kitchen.

"Sookie, Jackson, I want you to meet Luke's Niece and Nephew. This is Jo and Jess."

"Do you eat cheese?" Sookie asks.

"Yes." "what?" we say at the same time.

I roll my eyes at him again. Jackson and Sookie both talk about how great the lemons are and he offers us one.

"Jackson grows fruit and then scares people with it. Rory they're here," Lorelai calls.

Jess and I turn and see a girl at a desk.

"Coming," she replies.

"Hey," she calls.

"Hey," Jess says back, I wave.

"I'm Rory," she says.

"Yeah, I figured," Jess replies.

I smack him again.

"Nice to meet you," she says.

"You too," I reply.

"Wow, aren't we hooked on phonics?" Jess says, looking at her books.

This intrigues me as well.

"Oh, I read a lot. Do you read?" Rory asks.

"Yes." "Not much."

"I can loan you that if you want, it's great," she says as he holds her copy of Howl, by Allen Ginsberg.

"No thanks," Jess replies, putting it back.

"Well if you change your mind," she says.

Lorelai pops her head in.

"Okay, we really need to get Jackson away from the lemons now, so we're moving the feast into the living room," she says.

"Be right there," Rory tells her.

I give Rory a wave before following the adults into the living room. Sookie and Lorelai are laughing and chatting. Once they set everything down we all start grabbing food.

I see Rory come back, but Jess isn't with her. She hands me a can.

"I thought you'd like a soda," she tells me.

"Thank you," I reply, smiling.

We both load our plates up and sit together. Lorelai goes to get the garlic bread. Everyone is chatting away and I just watch everyone and eat.

After a couple of minutes Luke goes back to see what is taking Lorelai and Jess, so long. I hear Lorelai and Luke start fighting and I hear Luke leave.

Well I guess they forgot about me. 

Rory tells me I can stick around. She's really nice. I'm sad that she's going to Chilton instead of going to school here with us, but I'm happy because she seems really smart.

When dinner is over I walk back to the diner. When I arrive the lights are off. I try the door and it's locked. 

Well, I guess it's good I got this damn key yesterday.

I unlock the door and head up. I open the door to see Luke and Jess both asleep. Luke got another air mattress. I get my pajamas and go change. On my way out Luke sits up.

"Where have you been?" he asks.

"I stayed at the Gilmores'. It was nice. Rory's nice," I tell him as I settle onto my bed.

"Okay. I'm glad you're making friends," he lays back down and starts to go to sleep again.

"Me too," I whisper to myself.

\\AN// -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Izzy