Headache & Phone Calls

Jo's POV 

My mind, as well as Rory's, was focused on getting Lane home. Once we accomplished that is when I finally broke down again. I had something amazing and I ruined it.

"Jo, what even happened?" Rory asks.

"The same thing that happened with you. He said it and I couldn't," I replied through tears.

"He said he loved you?" she asks.

"I couldn't even tell him how I felt. The look on his face killed me," I tell her.

"I'm sure that you can talk to him and work this out," she says.

"I'm not sure. I also learned why he asked me out to begin with," I add.

"She do you mean?" she asks.

"He said he dated me to try and get you back," I reply.

"Are you kidding me!?" she yells.

"I don't want to talk, or even think about any of this any more tonight. I'm tipsy and sad, and I just want to sleep," I tell her as we walk up to the diner.

"You better head home. Hopefully Jess and I can both slip in without waking Luke," I tell her.

"Okay, call me if you need you," Rory says, pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you, Rore," I reply.

She walks off and I quietly enter the diner and walk up the stairs. Trying my best to remain completely silent.

When I successfully enter the apartment I don't even change clothes. I just slip off my boots and crawl into bed.

Jess is asleep in his bed. His face still looks angry, eyebrows frowned as he clutches his pillow. Thanks to the booze I'm out quick.

My sleep doesn't last long because a few hours later the sound of the phone fills the apartment. I groan and cover my head with my pillow.

After the third ring I finally pulled myself out of my bed, my head pounding. Luke's closer proximity to the phone lets him beat me there.

He very unhappily answers the phone.

"Hello? You're who? Who the hell is Kyle?" he says into the phone.

Oh, shit!

"He did what?!" Luke yells.

And now he knows.

Luke finally hangs up after promising the head over. He turns to me.

"Your brother got in a fight with Dean last night," he says.

He grabs a change of clothes and then goes into the bathroom. When he comes he looks pissed. I've moved to sit at the table and I'm clutching my head.

"I can't believe this. He goes to a party and gets in a fight with Dean. He wrecks this kid, Kyle's house. Who the hell is Kyle?" he questions.

"He's a kid we go to school with," I grumble.

He has a break from his rushing and stops to look at me. After a couple seconds it clicks in his head.

"Are you drunk?" he asks.

"Um..." I drift off, looking anywhere, but him.

"Josephine Louise, were you at the party?" he asks.

I drop my hand and stare at the table.

"Don't lie to me," he says.

"Yes," I reply, meekly.

"What the hell, Jo? You two go out to a party. You get drunk and Jess gets in a fight. What was the fight even about?" he asks.

I bite my lip and brush my hair out of my face. From the look I give him he can tell the answer isn't good.

"Was it about Rory?" he asks.

"No. No, Luke. It wasn't about Rory," I replied.

I get up and get a water bottle from the fridge. After taking a I look at him again.

"Do we have any pain medicine?" I ask.

He steps closer to me.

"What was the fight about, Jo?" he asks sterner this time.

After thinking for a minute about what to say, I just say it.

"Dean told me he loves me," I replied.

Luke takes a seat at the table.

"And?" he asks, knowing there's more.

"And even though I feel the same way... I- I couldn't- I couldn't say the words. He got mad. Then he told me the reason he started dating me was to get Rory back," I reply.

I sit down across from him.

"Dean got mad, and said that, so I walked off crying. Jess saw us as I was trying to leave. When he walked up all he saw was me crying and Dean upset. Jess threw the first punch and it went from there," I tell him.

"And yes I'm currently hungover, but I didn't get drunk. Yes, I went to a party and had a couple beers, but I was safe about it. You know, hopefully that makes it not as awful," I say, drifting off at the end.

I look up and give him sad eyes, that are totally real because if he gets mad and starts yelling at me while my head feels like this I will definitely cry, and might die.

He goes to say something, but before he can my eyes get big and I jump up from the table. I make it to the bathroom just in time.

Luke comes in and holds back my long hair for me. Once I'm done I lean against the side of the tub and rest my head on the edge of it.

"I think this is punishment enough for drinking," he says as he gets me medicine from the cabinet.

After I've taken my pain meds and brushed my teeth, he gets me back into bed. He goes to leave to start opening the diner before he has to deal with Kyle's parents.

"We are talking when I get back," he says.

I just nod and fall back asleep. I've always been a lightweight and was never the best at holding my liquor. Even in small amounts.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Izzy