Pep Rallies and Paris

Jo's POV 

I haven't really talked to Dean since the incident with Jess. If we see each other we are still friendly, but the conversations don't go past basic small talk.

Lane hasn't been around to hang out since she became a cheerleader. I have no idea how that even happened.

--

There is a pep rally at the high school. There is a cluster of red including the boy's basketball team, who are lined up on the steps listening to Taylor yammer on.

Poor kids are already freezing and now they have to take off their red tracksuits to show off the new uniforms. I see Rory and give her a wave. Lorelai walks up to her and they don't seem happy with each other, so I leave them be until the cheerleaders come out.

"Do you know what is going on?" I ask Rory, watching Lane and the other girls cheer.

"Not really," she replies.

We keep watching.

"Well, she's good. They all are."

They both agree. I had to go before it was over to help in the diner. I mostly work in the kitchen, either doing dishes, or helping Caesar. 

Talking to people is still difficult, more so after my scene at the town meeting. Lane and Rory came in and seemed to have resolved whatever was going on between them. 

That makes me happy.

--

After school I sit at the counter doing my homework. Rory comes in with Paris and they sit next to me.

"Hey, Rory."

"Hi. What are you doing?" she asks Paris.

"Trying just to blend in, fade away, observe."

"Hey, Rory. Coffee?"

"Thanks, Luke."

"Who's your friend?"

"Angela Lansbury," she replies.

I laugh, not looking up from my textbook.

"You're the owner here?" Paris asks.

"Yep. you want some coffee, Angela?"

"No, thanks. So, youn run the diner, huh?"

"Oh, boy," Rory says.

"You get a lot of truckers through here?"

"Truckers?"

"Yeah. guys on the road for weeks, looking for company, a pick-me-up. Things like that."

This makes me close my book and look up, enjoying the scene unravelling before me.

"What's she talking about?" Luke asks Rory.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Rory replies.

"It's pretty common knowledge that diners are breeding grounds for prostitution and drug dealers."

"What?"

"Have you ever seen anything like that going down here?"

"Have I ever..."

"What about that guy, over there? What's his story?" she asks, pointing across the room.

"Reverend Nichols?"

"Reverend Nichols, huh? Is that like Dr. Feelgood?"

I laugh and cover my mouth.

"Rory, how much do you like this person?" Luke asks.

"Do what you gotta do, Luke."

Just then Jess comes from upstairs.

"Hey, where'd he come from. What's up there? Is that where you keep the girls? You got yourself a little cat house us there?"

I walk around the counter, and get myself a cup of coffee.

"I think she got you, Uncle Luke. you better give up," Jess jokes.

"Do not add to this insanity," Luke replies.

"Innocent children like us should not be raised in an atmosphere like this," he says, standing on the other side of Luke.

"Jess!"

He reaches behind Luke, pulling me close to him.

"We wanna be good, life's just not letting us."

I give a fake pout which is quickly broken by me smiling.

"Rory, get her out of here."

"Okay. Let's go," Rory says standing and pilling Paris.

"Why do you need me to leave? What have you got to hide?"

Jess gives her a little wave and we smirk at each other.

"Paris, let's go."

With that they are both gone. Luke turns to us, not looking happy. Jess just smirks and I break out laughing. 

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy