Date?

Jo's POV 

After his break up with Rory I didn't think Dean would ever talk to me, but after the carnival he seemed to start acting like himself again. Things were back to normal.

We smile and say hi when we see each other, and her very short small talk when we run into each other, not really anything more. 

That was until just before Christmas break when he came up to me at school.

"Hey, Jo," Dean says.

Jess had decided to skip today, and I was in my normal hiding in the back corner of the cafeteria reading.

I look up at him and give a small wave, unable to wipe the confused look off my face. He just smiles at me.

Though we don't know each other a whole lot he knows me well enough to know my verbal skills, similar to Jess, have a tendency to disappear.

"Is it ok if I sit and chat for a bit? You can say no. I won't be upset," he says.

He seems sincere and his smile looks genuine and welcoming. I don't get the uneasy feeling I got when most of Liz's weekly boyfriends smiled at me.

I give him a slight smile and a nod. If possible his grin grows and he sits across from me.

"You're a reader too. I think you are the one person in the world that reads more than Rory."

"Yeah. I think my brother and I tie for first. Rory is a close second though," I reply quietly.

It actually shocks me when I see he didn't falter at the mention Jess. I mark my book and actually put it away, not planning on reading anymore. 

He leans forward and rests his arms on the table.

"I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but when I was with Rory I never really noticed you," he says.

I don't respond, just tilt my head wanting him to continue.

"Which kind of makes me sad because now that I take the time to see you I see that you're a really cool girl," he says.

This causes me to look away blushing as my mouth gaps open a little. That turned into a small smile as I bit my lip and looked back at him.

I see him grinning again and he seems very pleased with my reaction. His grin drops, but he still looks happy as he becomes a little more serious. I keep my lip bit as I watch him.

"I know this is weird. You are not only one of Rory's best friends, but you are also the sister of the guy she is now with," he says.

Dean's POV

I pause for a second and she just tilts her head again. I've gotta say, that is pretty adorable. Her stance is clearly telling me to keep talking.

"Well like I said, I think you are a pretty cool girl and I'd like to get to know you more, so I was wondering if you'd like to go out this weekend?" I ask her.

Her teeth let go of her lip and her curious eyes big wide, so I can see all of their light brown.

"Again, like I said before you can say no. I won't be mad," I tell her.

She looks down and bit her lip again, thinking. She looks nervous.

"Please? I'd really like to hang out. If it makes you feel better we can just go to the bookstore if you want. It only has to be for a couple of hours," I say.

She keeps thinking. Her resting against the table makes me think she's coming around to the idea.

"If this one goes well maybe we can even bring Jess and Rory to the next one," I tell her.

I think with that I caught her. She gives her lip one more bit before looking up at me and nodding. I smile at her, which she returns.

"Okay," I say, standing up.

"I know you work at the diner, so how about I pick you up after the breakfast rush?" I ask.

"Um, sure. I'll see you then," she says.

"Already. Enjoy your book," I say.

As I turn away I can help but crack a smile. This is so going to work. I can't wait to see his face. I can't wait to get her back.

Jo's POV

Apparently Lane had spotted us because she is now walking up to my table. This is what made everything hit.

"What was that?" she asks.

"Um, uh, I think I just got asked on a date, and I think I agreed to it and now I think Rory is going to hate me," I tell her.

"Wait, so Dean asked you on a date?" she asks.

"I think. Wait, no, yes. He asked me to go out this weekend. He wants to take me to the bookstore for a couple of hours," I tell her.

"Bookstore?" she questions.

"I like books, and he knows that," I mumble.

"But what about Rory?" she asks.

"I know. What about Rory? What am I going to do? You know how she's been," I reply.

"I think you know Rory well enough to know she won't hate you. She definitely won't be the most thrilled, at first anyway, but she cares about you both, and will definitely support you two," she reassures me.

"Thank you Lane,"  I reply.

"Now," she says, getting up to sit next to me, scooping close.

"Tell me everything he said," she gushes.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy