School

Jo's POV 

Luke wakes us up for our first day of school. I make it downstairs just as Rory leaves. I see her and Lorelai standing outside.

"What are they doing?" I ask Luke.

"Lorelai is refusing to come in. She tried to get Rory to buy a coffee and danish for her, but I wouldn't give it to her," he says.

I laugh and pull my backpack on.

"Well, first day of school," I state.

"Are you nervous?" Luke asks.

"Yes," I state simply.

He comes around the counter and pulls me into a side hug.

"You'll do fine," he reassures me.

"Now, where is your brother?" he asks me.

"Captain Hair Gel is making himself pretty," I reply.

"Well, at least he's up."

I go to the store room and grab an apple before heading out.

"Bye, Uncle Luke. I'm going to school," I tell him.

"Okay, have a good day."

I walk over to the high school and search for the office. I get my schedule and locker. I drop off everything I didn't need at my locker and go to find my first class.

As I'm wandering around a girl comes up to me.

"You must be one of the new kids, right?" she asks.

I give her a nod and a small smile.

"Well, I'm Lane. I'm a friend of Rory," she says cheerily.

"Oh, hello," I say quietly.

"You're twins, right? So you must be Jess?"

"No, my brother is Jess. I'm Jo, Josephine." I say laughing.

We chat a bit and she shows me around a little before dropping me at my first class.

"Do you want to have lunch with me? I'm a bit lonely since Rory switched schools."

"That would be nice, thank you."

She waves at me as she walks off. Someone stops next to me, so I look.

"Aw, look who decided to show up. My wombmate."

"Shut up," he replies.

"Give me your schedule," I demand. 

"Looks like you're stuck with me for half of your classes, including this one. Come, on," I say, pulling him into the room.

--

School was fine. I sat with Lane at lunch and we talked about music, it was fun. I got caught on the way to class by a few girls.

They were clearly some of Stars Hollow High's mean girls. Word quickly got around about the two new kids.

They questioned why I didn't really talk. In the classes I was supposed to introduce myself I just froze. I did the same thing at that moment.

Tears had just started to peek from the corner of my eyes when I felt someone put a hand on each of my shoulders.

The girls looked kind of scared. Whoever was behind me pushed me past them and didn't let me go until we reached my class at the end of the hall. They stopped, causing me to hult my steps.

I looked behind me to see Jess. He glanced back over his shoulder and sent a glare in their direction. I gave him a smile before he quickly rushed off to his next class.

The last bell rings and I make my way out front. I see Luke waiting at the bottom of the steps.

"Hi, Uncle Luke."

"Oh, hi, Jo. How was school?" he asks.

"It was good."

Jess walks out and Luke immediately starts following after him. I get left trailing behind them.

"Hey, how was school?" Luke asks.

"Great," Jess replies.

"Learn anything good?"

"Oh, yeah, tons of things. I got gold stars plastered all over my forehead."

"I learned evil bitches will come after you for anything," I mumble.

Luke apparently hears me and sends me a look.

"I had an interesting call today. Wanna know who it was from?" Luke asks.

"Not really." "Santa?"

"It was from Taylor Doose, you know he owns the market."

"If you say so," Jess replies.

So the other crazy man with a white beard.

"He said you came in today."

"He did?"

"And he said you took some money out of a little donation cup to help repair the bridge. I told him he was crazy, you wouldn't do that, you weren't a thief, that he was just trying to start trouble. Then I hung up on him. Now, don't get my wrong, I enjoy hanging up on Taylor, and he is crazy, but I was just wondering if maybe any of the other things he said were true?"

"What do you think?" Jess asks.

"I think that if you tell that what he's saying is not true then I'm gonna believe it's not true."

"Okay, it's not true."

"That doesn't sound very convincing."

"What exactly do you want from me? You bring me here at this place. You put me in a school that says the pledge of allegiance in six different languages, two of which I've never heard of before. You take me away from my home, my friends,"

We didn't really have friends and that place sure as hell wasn't a home.

"And now you want what from me?" he asks.

"I'm trying to help you!" Luke replies.

"Well, stop trying! Stop talking to me, stop following me, and stop asking me questions! Just stop!"

"That's what you want?"

"Yes."

"That's really what you want?"

"Yes."

"Fine. You got it!"

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Side-by-side they continue walking in a huff. I continue to trail behind. When they reach the middle of the bridge Luke all of a sudden reaches over and shoves Jess, pushing him in the lake.

\\AN// -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Izzy