Orders, Agreements, Miss Patty

Dean's POV 

Tom sends me to get lunch for the guys. Miss Patty catches me as I walk past.

"Dean-o, Dean-o, Dean-o. You grow any taller, I'm gonna have to get me some mountain-climbing equipment," she says.

"You're getting dangerous to even walk near, you know that, Patty," I tell her.

"I've been told," she replies.

"You looking for Mr. Doose?" I ask.

"Oh, precious, no. I'm just looking," she replies.

"Ah."

"Yes," she says.

"Okay. Well, uh, enjoy," I reply.

"Oh, I always do," she says.

I walk into the diner and up to Jess at the counter.

"I gotta place an order," I tell him.

"Talk into the clown," he says.

"I am," I reply.

"What do you want?" Jess asks.

I fish the piece of paper out of my pocket and start reading.

"Six burgers, three with cheese, two cheddar, one swiss. Two plain, once with chili, cheese and onions on the side," I list off.

I look up, and Jess is just staring at me.

"Your memory's that good?" I ask.

"You're screwing with me," Jess says.

"I'm placing an order," I reply.

"For all of Connecticut?" he asks.

"For the construction crew next door," I reply.

"Oh, you're Taylor's errand boy now," he says.

"And you're Taylor's waitress," I shoot back.

"Say that a little closer," he says.

"I thought you had a girlfriend," I ask.

"Give me your order and get out," Jess says, putting down his book.

"Service with a smile. Uh, six burgers, three with cheese, two cheddar, one swiss. Two plain burgers, one chili burger with cheese and onions on the side. Three ham on ryes, one mayo, one mustard one combo. Combo means mustard and-"

"I know what a combo means," Jess says.

"Sorry. Guess that confused look is just how your face is."

"You wanna talk about this outside?" he asks.

"Just as soon as I'm finished. Uh, four hot dogs, two salads on white, one chicken salad on wheat. A chef's salad with ranch. Five fries, five onion rings, two chips and extra pickles."

"On what?" he asks.

"Excuse me?" I ask.

"What are the extra pickles on?" he asks.

"On the side," I reply.

"On the side of what? On the side of the burgers? On the side of the sandwiches, or on the side of the road where the ditch I'm gonna dump your body into is?" Jess asks.

"Just make sure there's enough for everyone," I say, smirking.

"Fine," Jess says.

"Aren't you gonna read it back?" I ask.

"Nope," he replies.

"Okay, but these men were hired by Taylor, which means if they aren't satisfied with their orders, they will send them back, and they will continue to send them back until they are happy. Which means you could be making this order until you die," I tell him.

Jess just looks at me and starts reading the list back off.

"Slower, please. I'm checking them off as we go," I say smirk again.

Jess reads it off really slow. When he's finished he puts in the order and goes back to help Caesar.

While I wait I sit on one of the stools with my back to the counter. When I look up that's when I spot her.

Standing at a table by the window is Jo. I freeze when my eyes lock on her.

"Jo," I say.

She walks up and stands next to me, leaning against the counter.

"What the hell was that?" she asks.

"He was-"

"I don't care what he was doing. That right there was you being no better than him. I know you don't like him, but you said you'd be nicer. For me," she says.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Jess! Get out here," she calls.

He comes out with a glare.

"What?" he asks.

"You two, I'm done. I don't care what has, or hasn't been said. I don't care what has or hasn't been done. It all stops here. From now on, I don't care how fake it is, I want nothing but smiles from the two of you," she says, looking between us.

"You can hate each other all you want, but keep it to yourselves. How would Rory feel if she saw you two acting like this? I know I'm not too happy. So, no arguing, no fighting. You got me?" she asks.

"Yes," I reply

"Fine," Jess says.

He goes back to finish the order and she gets back to clearing tables. When Jess brings it out Jo comes back over.

"Here you go. Have a nice day," Jess says with little to no emotion, but no attitude.

"Thank you. You too," I reply.

All of the containers are put into two boxes, so Jo helps by grabbing one. Jess gets the door for us and we carry the boxes next door.

We put the food down and she helps me hand it out. When we're done I walk her back out.

"Thanks for the help," I tell her.

"No problem, my pleasure," she replies.

I give her a quick kiss and she smiles up at me as she pulls away. I look over her head and spot Miss Patty.

"We're being watched," I tell her.

She turns around and quickly turns back.

"I have to prove to her you're mine. Keep her from stealing you," Jo says, grinning.

"I don't think that will stop Patty," I reply.

"True," she says shrugging.

"I got to get back to work, and so do you. See you later... maybe?" she asks.

"I'll try," I say and give her another kiss.

She starts walking away.

"You can look, Miss Patty, but keep your hands off. He's spoken for. Don't make me have to buy the poor boy a whistle," she jokes, pointing at Miss Patty.

"I hear you, and look I will, sweetheart," she replies.

"You have a good day, Miss Patty," she calls.

"You too, Dear!" Patty replies.

When Jo renters the diner Patty looks back at me.

"I don't know how you luck out with the good ones, Dean-o. You make sure to be good to her, she's a keeper," Miss Patty tells me.

"I don't know either, and I'll be sure to. Thank you," I reply before heading back into work.

The good ones...

A keeper.

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy