Markets & Envelopes

Jo's POV 

I stop by Doose's to get some stuff which means I get to see Dean at work.

I see Kirk on the floor, surrounded by mail. He is our new mail carrier and it hasn't been going well.

"Hi, Bean," I say, walking up to him.

"Hi," he replies, aggravated.

"What's going on here?" I ask.

"Kirk dropped everyone's mail and won't let them grab it," he replies.

He drops down next to kirk.

"Kirk, you know this would have been far easier if you had just sorted the mail," I tell him.

"It's right there!" Dean yells at him.

"Just a second," Kirk replies.

"I see it. Can I just-" Dean asks, reaching for what he needs.

"I got it!" Kirk yells.

"Kirk, it's right there!" Dean yells.

"You are yelling at me, and I have to tell you that is not the way to get results!"

"You keep passing it!"

"You are making me crazy!" Kirk tells him.

I see Lorelai walk up behind us.

"Hey, Jo. Dean, I just need- Oh! Hey, that's my water bill," she says.

Dean stands back up.

"He's been down there for 20 minutes," he tells her.

"Kirk, you have to sort the mail first," Lorelai tells him.

"Everybody is  always telling me what to do. Everybody else is always right. Well, I'm sorry, but I am the mail carrier in this town, and I will carry the mail the way that I carry the mail, and if you don't like that then you can carry the mail. But you'll have to apply for the job first and get hired, and there's a test, and it's a hard test, my friend! Ow! Paper cut," Kirk cries.

"Dean, I need some of that non-drowsy allergy medicine stuff," Lorelai tells him.

"Did you check in the back with the aspirin?" he asks.

"Yeah, nothing," she replies.

"Then we're probably out. I could tell you when they're expected in, but I haven't gotten the mail yet!" Dean yells, directing at Kirk.

"Shut up," Kirk replies.

I try to keep from laughing.

"Okay. Never mind. I'll just grab some when I get to Hartford. See if you can get my water bill for me," she says.

"I'll do my best," Dean replies.

She leaves.

"I'm giving you five minutes to get up, then I'm getting the mop," Dean tells Kirk.

"You will not touch this! This is the property of the United States government," Kirk replies.

Everyone dives to get their mail.

"If you see anything with our names on it, and it looks important, please grab it," I tell Dean as I walk off.

"Okay," he says.

"Thank you," I reply.

I wander around the store and look for the various items I need. We went grocery shopping earlier this week, so we don't need any food.

There are a few household things, and other random bits that went forgotten the first time, so I volunteered to grab them.

When I'm done I walk back to the front to see Kirk and his pile of mail gone. I walk up to Dean at the check out.

"Again, hello Bean," I greeted.

"Hiya, Jo. Oh, I saw a few pieces of mail for you guys, so I grabbed them," he says, handing me a small pile of mail, and then starts ringing me up.

"Thanks, babe," I say, as I tuck the mail under my arm and pull out my wallet.

"I see your Friday night is going to be so much fun," I joke.

"Yep. I'm thrilled," he replies with a monotone voice and a smirk.

"Will you be there tomorrow, or is Warden Doose keeping you held up here?" I ask.

"I managed to talk him into giving me the morning off, so I should have no trouble staying through the whole thing. But I will have to head over here after," he replies.

"I'm glad," I reply, smiling.

I get my bags, I give him a kiss, and I'm on my way.

When I get back to the apartment I drop the bags and mail on the kitchen table. I separate bills from everything else.

I stop when I see when I see a few large white envelopes. Some of them had my name, and others had Jess'

I had filled out several applications for us both, and even convinced him to write his essays.

I got him to agree by promising to cover a few of his shifts in the diner. I also had to promise him that I'd take my medicine again, and I've been on it, non-stop ever since.

Though Jess refused to let me send in his applications for the big three, like I did for myself, he did let me send them to a few schools close by.

He had little faith that he'd make it to college and absolutely no faith that he would attend an ivy league school. I sit down and take a better look at all of the envelopes.

I make a pile for Jess and a pile for me, and just stare at them. I saw the ones marked Harvard, Princeton, and Yale.

Two big...

One small. 

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

-- Izzy