Chilton Graduation

Jo's POV 

I told Luke what happened with Dean. He was not happy. Just like with Jess, I had to convince him not to go kill Dean.

Lindsay was also quick to swoop in now that I was gone and they ended up going to prom together. Rory and Jess still went together, and Lane went with Dave.

The only part of prom I was involved with was telling Rory which earrings to wear, and helping Jess pick out a tie to match her dress.

They all had a lot of fun and took lots of pictures. After prom we had another week of school.

We were at Chilton for Rory's graduation. Jess is wearing his prom suit with a black tie.

"I hate this thing," he complains.

"Suck it up because you're not taking it off and you're wearing it tomorrow," I tell him.

"No," he replies.

"Yes. Then you can burn the whole outfit for all I care," I tell him.

We trail behind Sookie and Lorelai, as Jackson and Luke look at the building and point.

"Hey, guys. Get over here," Sookie calls.

"Here's a row. Let's see, how many seats do we need? You, me, Luke Jackson, the twins-" Lorelai lists off.

"That's six," Sookie states.

"Plus Picklepuss and Sauerkraut," Lorelai jokes.

"Your parents make eight," Sookie says.

"These stones have to be carved by hand," Jackson says, as they walk up.

"Without the tools we have now, no electricity," Luke adds.

"Just pulleys and fulcrums," Jackson says.

"Hey, Bob Vila, take a seat," Sookie says, pulling Jackson down into the chair next to her.

It's Lorelai, with two empty seats to her left for her parents, then Sookie, Jackson, Luke, me, then Jess. Lorelai goes back to see Rory and comes back with her parents.

"Uh, mom, dad, I think you've met almost everyone here. Sookie, Jackson, Luke, Jess, and that's Jess' twin sister, who you have not met, but she's a friend," Lorelai says.

I see Emily give a look when Lorelai mentions Jess.

"No, Christopher?" her dad asks.

"No, he's out of town, but he is having us take tons of pictures and order him the official video, and we may even come back and re-enact the whole thing when he gets home. Now, sit, relax," Lorelai says.

"I don't think she is too happy to see me," Jess whispers.

"Well, that was at a bad time. She's not going to love you right away, but I think if you talk to them today, it might fix things."

"Maybe," he replies.

"Hey, you didn't show up late, with a black eye. You're already doing better than last time," I state.

"True," he replies.

--

It is time for Rory's speech. I know it is going to be amazing and I'm going to somehow top it.

When the principle introduced her we all started cheering loudly.

"Not crying, right?" Sookie asks.

"Not crying. Keeping our cool, so we don't miss anything," Lorelai says.

"Tears get in your eyes," Sookie says.

"And you miss things," Lorelai adds.

"So, we're not crying," Sookie comferms.

"Not crying," Lorelai tells Sookie.

"Not crying," Sookie tells Jackson.

"Not crying. Not crying," Jackson repeats and then says to Luke.

"What?" Luke asks.

"No crying," Lorelai tells him.

"I'm not crying," he replies.

I look at Jess.

"She's going to make you break," I tell him.

"No she's not," he replies.

"Sure tough guy. Here's a tissue," I say, taking one from my purse.

He declines it, so I just leave it on his lap.

"I live in two worlds. One is a world of books-" Rory says.

This is already great.

"It's a rewarding world, but my second one is by far superior. My second one is populated with characters slightly less eccentric, but supremely real, made of flesh and bone, full of love, who are my ultimate inspiration for everything-" she continues.

She talks about her grandparents and thanks them.

"There is another pair that is immensely important to me. The twins, though very similar, are very different," she states.

My heart starts to swell, and tears peek from my eyes.

"Jess and Jo, through everything you have been through, and everything we've been through together you have taught me and inspired me," Rory says, smiling at us.

"Aw," I say as I start to cry.

"Meeting you two had brought me a love, and a friend. You two have accomplished so much and will continue to do amazing things," she says.

From the corner of my eye I see Jess take the tissue from his lap.

"-But my ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend, the dazzling woman from whom I received my name and my life's blood, Lorelai Gilmore."

"Uh oh," Sookie says.

"Hang in there," Lorelai replies.

I look and see them already crying as well.

"My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn't do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. She filled our house with love and fun and books and music, unflagging in her efforts to give me role models from Jane Austen to Eudora Welty to Patti Smith."

"As she guided me through these incredible eighteen years, I don't know if she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her."

"Not crying," Sookie says.

"Crying a little," Lorelai says.

"Crying a little, but not blubbering. That's what we meant when we said no crying. No blubbering," Sookie says.

"Thank you, mom. You are my guidepost for everything," Rory continues.

"On the verge of blubbering here," Sookie says.

"I'm not doing too well myself," Jackson says.

"Not you, too," Lorelai says to Luke.

"I'm blubbering, you're freaks," Luke says.

I look at Jess and sure enough, he has silent tears rolling down his face, as he keeps listening, not taking his eyes off Rory.

"Oh, my god. She broke Jess," I say. 

\\ AN // -- All grammar, punctuation, and spelling corrections are helpful, encouraged, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-- Izzy