thirty seven

SELENE READ EVERY SINGLE LETTER THAT SHE HAD BRUNG INTO HER ROOM.

They were all the same. They all told her how much of a horrible person she was. How she was the reason why he got hit in the first place. They all gaslighted her. She couldn't believe that her dad even tried to hide this from her. He let a literal pile of mail build up before she found out. The very first letter dated back to mid last year.

She didn't know how to feel or even what to do. She had stopped crying a long time ago due to the fact that she couldn't even produce any more tears at this point. This didn't even feel real. She sat on a chair in the room, her eyes not leaving the same spot she had been staring at for minutes. The spot where she had left the letters.

Harry knocked on the door, the girl not even paying attention. "Selene? You've been in there for more than a hour. If you don't respond i'm going to unlock the door to make sure your okay."

It was silent. Harry sighed. "Baby, I know you don't want to talk right now but I need an answer from you."

Nothing at all.

Harry picked the lock and opened up the door. His eyes softened as he stared at Selene. "Selene..." he trailed off as he made his way to her. She didn't even move as Harry crouched down in front of her. "Selene?"

Harry moved a piece of her curly hair out of her face. Her eyes wandered to his, his whole heart breaking. This looked so dull. Her pupils were a bit dilated and her eyes weren't the same hazel they usually were. They looked brown almost. Her whole body fell into his arms, the singer having to catch himself as he wrapped his arms around her. She squeezed her eyes shut and gripped his shirt tightly.

"I know. I'm so sorry Selene," he whispered.

"Why? I thought that he would've left me alone by now," she mumbled into his chest. The green eyed man rubbed her back as comfort.

"I thought he would too," he agreed.

"I don't even want to be here anymore. He... How could he hide those letters for almost a year?"

"I'm not taking his side in any way but I think that he just wanted to protect you Le."

Selene pulled away from the hug, her eyebrows furrowing. "I'm grown Harry. If he would've told me earlier this could've been handled earlier. Now that i'm living in a different country, there's literally nothing that can be done about him now. He's just going to keep sending fucking envelopes about much of a disgusting person I am. So yes, he did a damn good job of "protecting" me by hiding it," she snapped.

Her eyes softened as she realized what she had done. She was too emotional to even have an conversation without either getting mad or crying. Maybe her dad was right.

"I'm so sorry Harry," she softly said. He shrugged. "It's fine. You had to get your feelings out one way or another. If taking it out on me made you feel a bit better, it's okay."

"Is he right?" Selene questioned, her eyes searching for an answer.

"Is who right?"

"Nate."

"No, he never has been and never will be. Your not horrible at all. Do you know how many things you've helped me through? A lot. You was there for me when I felt as if I was doing everything by myself. Look at Mitch, your his best friend now. I can guarantee that you make his day better when you two hang out. You will never be an horrible person," Harry assured.

Selene softly smiled. It was the first smile she had in hours. She felt as if she didn't even deserve Harry. He was too pure— too innocent. She was broken and all of her innocence was gone the second she met Nate. Maybe Nate was right. What if she wasn't who she thought she was? Was she selfish like the letters told her? Was she the one who was the bad guy?