Chapter 1

These past few months have been brutal. I asked to come here so I could heal and for the most part it worked. I'm heading back tomorrow it's a new school year and a new chapter in my life.

I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone. A town where everyone knows who you hang out with and what kind of person you are.

A town where the only thing to happen recently destroyed my world. Every person I passed would look at me with so much pity and sadness it made each day harder.

A man I didn't know who I shared DNA with moved into my house so I wouldn't be put in foster care. A man who also looks at me in pity but also a bit of hate. I didn't care if my father didn't like me, my mom hated him and that was enough for me.

My town calls it the Robbery that went wrong but I call it my moms murder. I was at a stupid party while my mom came home early from work. She didn't know I snuck out. No one knows what happened except she was shot twice before she died outside my bedroom door.

I think she was coming to protect me or to see if I was already dead but just didn't make it. I came here to get the what if's out of my head. What's done is done and my mother is dead. I have to accept it.

"Kook." I turned to look at the man I've only known for 5 months as he stood up from his chair, well my moms chair. "Come right back after school." He was serious I could tell from his stern voice.

"Have plans." With that I walked out  grabbed my bike and headed to school.

It's less then 12 minutes for me to bike to school and in winter I just walk it takes about 30. Most days I just caught a ride with one of my hyungs but I needed to ride today.

The sight of the woods and the oh so familiar small houses gave me mixed emotions. I was happy to be home but sad because the person that gave me a home is no longer with me.

I tried to shake my thoughts away as my school came into view. Students filled the grass out front not wanting the summer to end. Then all the air left my lungs once I caught sight of my friends.

My best friends. Friends that I've known since our first day in the first grade. I basically ignored them all summer sure I was in another country but still shut myself out.

"Kookie!" Kai waves me over.

I gave a small smile as I parked my bike securing it with a lock and chain so my beautiful yellow and blue bike doesn't get stolen. Sure it's a small town and the chances of it getting stolen are slim but also the chance of getting shot in your own home was even more slim.

"Wow Kookie you let your hair grow! You look great. So how are you?" Really? It was great with the compliment then you had to ruin it with your question. For five long hard months I've heard people ask me that and each time I just want to scream.

I'm awful my mother is dead. Every time I try and sleep I hear her calling my name.

"I'm okay hyung thanks." I gave him a small smile before he swung his arm over my shoulder as we walked to the others. "H-hi hyungs."

They all gave me a glance upset written all over their faces. Yoongi hyung was the first one to release a sigh before he pulled me into a tight hug.

"I hope you enjoyed your independence because you are never going to be allowed alone again." He whispered into my ear making his voice low and slow. His breathe tickled my ear sending me chills. He slapped my butt making me jump before he chuckled walking away.

"Hey baby....have you been eating?" Jin hyung asked me as he pulled me into a hug.

"The food in America was really sweet. I liked it but it wasn't home." More like it wasn't my moms cooking.