71|| Thankful

Harry, after having finished filming All My Life, flew right back home to be with his family for the holidays. Matt, of course, didn't know that he would be returning so soon, and he would be in for a very nice surprise when he sees Harry on the other side of the door tomorrow morning.

Matt has been counting the days until his husband's return looked at the calendar and sighed.

"Only one week to go," he murmured under his breath making his son look up with a tilt of his head

"Daddy?" He asked

"Yeah, bud?" He asked

"Papa come home?" His son questioned and Matt smiled

"He'll be home soon, bud" he answered and the little boy nodded before going back to doodling. Matt check the clock to see that it was almost time for the twins to be waking up from their nap.

Harry, who had just landed at the airport, gathered up his suitcase, and made his way through security and to the parking lot where his car was parked once he had placed his suitcases in the trunk, he climbed the driver's seat and turned the car on before driving out of the airport towards his and Matt's house.

He made a few stops along the way before finally reaching his destination. He smiled as he saw Matt's car in the driveway before climbing out, grabbing his gifts before making his way up the drive and to the front door. After a second of struggling to get his keys out and was ready to put the key into the lock, the door opened and in front of him stood none other than his husband.

"Harry?" He asked in surprise with wide eyes Harry smiled

"Hi, babe" he greeted and Matt threw his arms around him though his hands are full, Harry wrapped his own around him, "god I missed you"

"I missed you too," Matt mumbled against him before pulling back to let Harry in, "but I thought you were coming home next week,"

"I lied about that," Harry said setting the bags down on the floor and Matt raised a brow, "I wanted to surprise you and the kids. Shooting and I decided to come home as soon as possible,"

"PAPA!" the voices of their three children yelled as they ran into the room-well Levi ran while the reins waddled as they were still learning to walk-before tackling Harry's legs, "Papa, you're home!"

"I am, and I'm so happy to see you three," he said crouching to their level and pulling them into a hug, and kissing them on the forehead.

After the greeting had been done, the happy couple and their children made their way into the living room, Harry's suitcases at the door.

"You didn't have to bring us anything," Matt said when he noticed-for the first time-the bags that Harry had walked in with

"I know but I wanted," he replied as he gave his kids each a stuffed animal making them beam in happiness before he grabbed the largest bag and handed it to Matt who glared at him sent Harry only smiled, "Open the card first."

Matt sighed but did as he was told taking the card out.

Dear Matt

You are a good man. No, a great one. You are the man of my dreams. Not just that, you are the man who has slain the dragons in my nightmares. You have exceeded my dreams and brought to life a man my dreams didn't know existed. You are a man who speaks the truth. Not just the truth that everyone wants to hear; you speak the truth everyone needs to hear. It's refreshing. You are a good man.

You are a selfless man.

When you saw me struggle with loneliness and depression, you gave me time away. When you hear me utter a silly desire, you find a way to fulfill it. When you see me tired and weary, you give me time to rest. When the kids have drained all my energy, you order pizza on your way home from work. You clean up our never-ending messy house on your day off. You are a selfless man.

You are a loving man.

You give me kisses in the morning, kisses at night, and many in between. You snuggle our babies and wrestle our boy. You rub my feet and tickle my back every night when I ask. You wipe away tears and snotty faces and hold me when I fall apart. You are a loving man.

You are a strong man.

You lead our family in truth. You show our son what a man does, and what a man doesn't do. You don't falter in your steps. You seek wise counsel and know you need others to guide you. You steady me when I question who I am. You live with integrity and purpose. You are a strong man.

God gave me both

Thank you for being that man.

I hope you feel loved for all you are. In the moments I say nasty things and my tone is hurtful, I hope you still know the depth of my love for you. That my heart breaks knowing I've hurt the one my soul loves.

Thank you for pushing me to grow.

For loving me when I'm in a dark place but never allowing me to stay there. Thank you for asking me tough questions. For showing me the truth when I need it, grace when I don't deserve it, and discernment when I am too confused to understand.

Thank you for being a good father to our babies.

To know they are secure in your love is a gift. Knowing they will always understand the love of a father will have eternal rewards. For them to see you loving people and serving the Lord will guide them for the rest of their lives. I'm certain that they will trust Him more easily since they've had a father that has cared for them so well.

When we promised forever so long ago, I thought that was the best moment of my life. Now I realize the best moments are the little moments with you every day. When you pause as you leave the house, catching my eye for a special glance just for me. When the kids go to bed and we collapse on the couch, knowing we are a team. When you bring me a flower, even though I acted like I didn't want one. When you fulfill your marriage vows and tell me I'm beautiful every day. Those are the best moments of my life. And they just keep getting better.

You are a good man–no, a great one.

Love,

Your husband

Matt swallowed the lump that formed in his throat as he finished reading the card and before he closed it, he read another sentence, I am forever thankful for you, Matthew for you have given me everything I could have ever dreamt of having. I love you baby thank you for loving me through everything.

"I hate you," Matt murmured with a sniffle as he set the cars down and launched himself at Harry wrapping his arms around him

"I love you too."

Harry got Matt a brand new sweatshirt, Levi a toy dinosaur while he got the girls each a new stuffed toy. Needless to say, Matt and the kids loved their sweatshirt and toys Harry got them when he returned home from filming his new movie.